Respected Contributor

There are certain places where young children shouldn't be at, and nail salons are one of them. Not just because of the chemicals, but because parents can't properly supervise when they're getting nails and toes done. I understand, especially for single parents, that they may not have someone else to watch their kids when they want to go out and get things done, but in the end safety is more important than pretty toes and nails. 

Respected Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Eh, not really a big deal to me. It's easier to have a baby in there than to corral little children. For some moms, that might be their only treat for themselves and many don't have family or anyone to sit. It can be isolating and less than glamorous being a stay at home mom so I've never thought to look askance at anyone who spends 30 mins or so in a salon while their babies are asleep to do something that gives them a little lift.  

@GenXmuse, I agree.

I don't mean to sound callous or ignorant, but you just can't wrap babies & kids in bubble wrap.

Yes, breathing in fumes is bad, and definitely not good for an infant or anyone else, but how fortunate are we that 1 or 2 hours in the fumes of a nail salon is the issue here?

Many countries aren't so lucky!

Awhile back I was having a pedicure, and a mom was there w/ her Kindergarten aged little boy, & they were both getting manis/pedis.

She asked him 'So, what color do you want this week?'

When they were finished, her husband came and picked them up.

To me, that was more disturbing than bringing your baby along to get a manicure.

JMO.

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Eh, not really a big deal to me. It's easier to have a baby in there than to corral little children. For some moms, that might be their only treat for themselves and many don't have family or anyone to sit. It can be isolating and less than glamorous being a stay at home mom so I've never thought to look askance at anyone who spends 30 mins or so in a salon while their babies are asleep to do something that gives them a little lift.  

@GenXmuse, I agree.

I don't mean to sound callous or ignorant, but you just can't wrap babies & kids in bubble wrap.

Yes, breathing in fumes is bad, and definitely not good for an infant or anyone else, but how fortunate are we that 1 or 2 hours in the fumes of a nail salon is the issue here?

Awhile back I was having a pedicure, and a mom was there w/ her Kindergarten aged little boy, & they were both getting manis/pedis.

To me, that was more disturbing than bringing your baby along to get a manicure.

JMO.

You were bothered by a little five year old boy getting a mani/pedi, with polish?

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2, yes, I actually found it 'disturbing', as previously mentioned.

After they'd left, the manicurist was talking to other clients, and said he always changes his polish on a weekly basis.

I've no desire to appear PC to please anyone. I simply stated my opinion.

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I witnessed two young girls about 3 and 5 years old who came to the salon with their mother and grandmother.  As soon as they got there, the little girls took off their shoes and proceeded to run around.  The mom was in the chair getting her hair done, the GM was sitting in the waiting room.

i told the GM that the girls should not be without shoes in the salon because they couldn't get a hair splinter in their feet.  I explained that they were very painful and hard to remove and even see.  She made the girls come back and put on their shoes.

The very next day, I got a hair splinter in my foot.  I guess that's what I get.

There are many dangers in a salon.  KIds should be left at home if possible and babies should never be allowed in.

@Carmie

Learn something new every day ..... never heard of a hair splinter, so I looked it up.   All I can say is ...  ew.

Hairdressers and barbers know all about them.. from experience.  Ouch!

Yep! I was a colorist for years and hated those things!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I never heard of a hair splinter.

Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

After they'd left, the manicurist was talking to other clients, and said he always changes his polish on a weekly basis.

Why would you have to appear PC? Most people aren't you know. I'm sure no one will be knocking on your door to give you a reprimand. Say what you mean and mean what you say. No need to explain yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

Every time I paint my nails my almost 3 yr old grandson wants me to paint his nails and I do. There is absolutely nothing at all "disturbing" about that at all @sabatini. I painted my nails blue yesterday and that is what he got. He loves it.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

I find your being disturbed over this...disturbing.

I've no desire to call a veiled human rights issue "PC."  JMO.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@sabatini wrote:

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

@GenXmuse, I agree.

JMO.

You were bothered by a little five year old boy getting a mani/pedi, with polish?

And way-to-go cool mom!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all