Super Contributor

I was in the nail salon yesterday and was surprised to see two infants with their mothers. 

Both babies were under six months and their mothers were having pedicures and manicures.  

One of the other customers did mention  that it was probably not healthy for their babies to be breathing all of the chemicals.  She was promptly told that it was none of her business. 

One of the mothers lit up a cigarette as soon as she left the salon so I guess clean air for her baby is not a priority. 

Honored Contributor

@Flika13 wrote:

I was in the nail salon yesterday and was surprised to see two infants with their mothers. 

Both babies were under six months and their mothers were having pedicures and manicures.  

One of the other customers did mention  that it was probably not healthy for their babies to be breathing all of the chemicals.  She was promptly told that it was none of her business. 

One of the mothers lit up a cigarette as soon as she left the salon so I guess clean air for her baby is not a priority. 

I hate to hear that but some things are out of our control.  We must just pray for these sweet children.

Esteemed Contributor

Some people should not be parents......jmo......

Honored Contributor

Re: Children in nail salons

[ Edited ]

You have to have a license to be a manicure-pedicure technician, but not to have children.  Sigh. And if we were required to have a license, the government would get it all wrong and give license to those aforementioned that do not need them.

Honored Contributor

Assuming that it is a known fact that the evironment in nail salons can be dangerous for babies, maybe the salons should not allow children under a certain age on the premises. I'm guessing, though, that such a policy would both offend some of their customers and frighten others.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Children in nail salons

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3  The nail salon I frequent DOES have this rule and I witnessed a tragic event about 2 years ago while in the big chair having a pedicure.

In summary, a woman came in with a week old or so infant to get acrylics and the salon owner told her that the fumes were too strong for any young child let alone an infant; she would have to return without the baby for the service.

The customer went OFF on the manager. Screamed, threatened, made a huge scene. The infant started screaming and she slammed (not kidding) the carrier down on the floor. That was it for me. I pulled out my phone and called the police. I wasn't the only one, apparently, as the operator told me she had already had a a few calls from the same salon over a disturbance.

You're right, there ARE people who should NOT have kids. This woman had issues but what if she had been carrying a weapon of some type? IMHO, this is why salons are not going to say anything; fear of being injured by an ignorant and nasty customer who should have had her tubes tied.

Super Contributor

@Flika13 wrote:

I'm surprised they weren't breastfeeding at the same time. I think there are places that children just don't belong, but since everybody has the right to do whatever they want regardless of where they are, everything is fair game. Privacy, decency, and common sense----too many people don't know what those words mean.

tea

Trusted Contributor

@Flika13 wrote:

~~~~~

Ohhhh, this just makes me sad. I was always so careful and health-minded with my babies. 

Valued Contributor

I've been to several nail salons where the owners have small children, even babies. I wouldn't comment on someone bringing their child unless the child was making it uncomfortable for others in the salon.  I can think of worse things than that, smoking cigarettes or (horrors!) breastfeeding.

It's what goes on behind closed doors in some households that make me shudder.

Honored Contributor

I think that's digusting taking your baby(ies) to a nail salon.  What are those children doing and/or who's caring for them while the mother is having her nails done.  I never have but I'm betting manis & pedis are time consuming.

As well, chemical odors in the air to breathe.

Smoking is just down right disgusting and causes cancers.