Trusted Contributor

Re: Children dying in hot cars

My local Walmart has a huge sign on the door as you enter saying not to leave your kids in a hot car.  I was amazed that people have to be told this. Crazy world.

Respected Contributor

@StephaniM wrote:

I don’t know where I heard this but a mom actually puts her shoes on the back next to the car seat so she can’t be distracted.  She can’t go to work barefoot.  What a world

I think this is an excellent idea. Whatever works to keep you focused. I certainly sympathize with those parents who have been distracted or for whom the child pick-up/drop-off is not part of the regular routine. These people suffer mightily for the rest of their lives. I won't judge and thank the good lord it's never happened to me or anyone I know.

Honored Contributor

It's hard for me to believe that people are that absent minded and irresponsible. Who doesn't remember they have their kid in a car seat in the back. Unless they are mentally ill, which they are if they leave their kid or animal in a hot car. IMO they need to be charged with murder.

Respected Contributor

There is no reason car makers couldn't put some sort of alarm/alert on cars when the back door has been opened before the trip.   I think all of us would like to think we would never ever make this sort or mistake but it is happening.  

Honored Contributor

To have the physical ability to have a child, does not parents make. Some of these humans are brain dead. How in the world can any adult, responsible for the safety of a child, commit such a horrible act(it IS NOT a mistake)?

HELLO! ANYONE HOME?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut  it is unfortunate that people that are clearly not suited to have children are blessed with them...geesh,I hope they don't have pets...

Respected Contributor
Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56

Me too! None of our 6 felines are in our vehicles unless it is trip to our Vet. Not many felines enjoy car rides, at least of the many that have owned us.

Lily, our only canine, does go with us much of the time. Most of the stores we frequent are "Pet Friendly", which we search out. Thus Lily, wearing her leash, get to go shopping with us at many places. Extreme temperatures, either cold or hot, she either stays home, or in the heated or cooled vehicle, with either my wife or I with her.

I have seen tests done by humans, sitting it a vehicle in hot weather, windows cracked 1.5-2", with temperature inside starting at 80° going up to 130° in less than 30 minutes, and well over 100° in less than 5 minutes.

Some canine owners dog understand the canine physiology of not being able to cool their body via moisture evaporating to keep their internal temperature down.

Too long, but get me started and? Can't seem to stop myself! Think I might still be on my "Ice Skating High" from earlier this afternoon!    =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Animals and kids should never be left in cars in hot or cold/winter weather.  I work in customer service and you'd be amazed how many times customers will stop by to report them in hot and cold cars.  It breaks my heart.

I was out to lunch the other day and people left a tiny little dog in the car during lunch. It nearly killed me.  It was 95 degrees and almost that humid.  Even with windows down, it was too hot.  I didn't realize the owners were outside when I said to my friend (somewhat loud) "they left a dog in that car!"  The owners were mad that I said that and said the dog would be fine.  I said 'no, the dog won't be fine."  The owner came and got the dog then.

A couple of winters ago, I found 3 kids - 2 toddlers and an infant - left in a car.  The car was not running and it was 8 below zero!  I called the cops and waited.  There was no sign of the driver before the cops arrived.