Honored Contributor

Re: Children dying in hot cars

They don't forget their cell phone, but forget their kids.

Valued Contributor

A lot of them are deliberate.   Sickening 

Esteemed Contributor

I will never understand how someone can leave a child in a hot car.When my son was young he went where I went, period. Even if I ran out of the car for a minute I took him with me.Yes,it was inconvenient to take him out of a car seat & put him back in a few minutes later.But he was my child & needed me to keep him safe.It never occurred to me to leave him there.

I also don’t understand how someone can forget that they even have a child in their car.They obviously aren’t responsible.Therefore, why do they even have children?

I agree with the poster who said that it should become a Federal crime to leave a child in a hot car.Maybe this will deter the stupidity!!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

With all of our modern-day electronic technologies, you'd think there would be some kind of warning system or alarm installed or at least some kind of phone app to alert people of the danger inside their cars. I hope to see this developed in the near future.

@SilleeMee

There was a DFW kid who made the news last yr when he designed

something...but haven’t seen anything since:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/McKinney-Boy-Invents-Device-to-Prevent-Hot-Car-Deaths-412366283.ht...

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

They don't forget their cell phone, but forget their kids.

@missy1

ITA - i bet at every moment of the day - their phone is attached to their hip and know where it is at all times - kids not so much - 

I would think out of habit - you check your backseat to make sure some goods are covered (not to be seen by thieves) take your handbag etc. Just a quick glance automactically. As quick as it takes for a selfie. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri63 wrote:

A lot of them are deliberate.   Sickening 

Hmmm.

Respected Contributor

DH and I were going to a local restaurant one hot day last summer and passed 2 agitated women standing beside a car with a police officer. It turned out there was a toddler locked in the car. The mother put the car keys in a cup holder while driving, shut the door when she got out and the door somehow got locked. Maybe the other woman manually locked the car when she got out, not realizing the keys were in the car. Luckily, the fire department arrived very quickly, unlocked the car and determined that the child was okay. This was accidental, but some numbskulls purposely leave their children or pets in the car while they just zip into a store for a few minutes. Then they run into someone they haven’t seen in a while or get stuck in a long line. Meanwhile, the child’s in the car getting dehydrated. 

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I agree that it is time for Congress to enact a law protecting children and pets from being locked in a parked, hot car.  I think it should be expanded, though, for those who cannot take care of themselves, such as those with mental deficiencies.  It is important to protect those in our care who cannot protect themselves.  In the future, I see car manufacturers installing an alarm, much like backup cameras and lane changing alerts.

@SXMGirl  I was just going to say the same thing.  Even senior citizens are at risk if left alone too long in the heat.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3, I absolutely agree.  Also, there are too many senior citizens who are victims of elder abuse, and a law like this might protect them.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

At the end of last month, a local attorney left his girlfriends 9 yo autistic son locked in the back seat of his car in a Home Depot parking lock for 20 minutes.  A good samaritan walked by, saw this and was able to open an unlocked door and get the kid out.  He called 911 to report it and told the dispatcher he didn't want the parents to come out and see him with the kid as if he was trying to kidnap him or something. 

The heat index that day was 94 and this was at 2 in the afternoon.   The guy came running out of the store and claimed the child got really quiet and he forgot about him. 

I'm not sure what ever happened with the case.  He was arrested and charged with child endangering but was released on bond.