Honored Contributor

Re: Childish behavior at the grocery store

I have a special gift for choosing the wrong check out line.  Very slow cashier, no price, card doesn't work, customer finds it hard to let go of their money, price conflict.... etc.  Never get in a line that I am in, big mistake.  With that said, I keep my cart back from the customer in front because I like to be treated the same way.  If the cart were a car, I would be run down and left for the vultures.

Respected Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

I have a special gift for choosing the wrong check out line.  Very slow cashier, no price, card doesn't work, customer finds it hard to let go of their money, price conflict.... etc.  Never get in a line that I am in, big mistake.  With that said, I keep my cart back from the customer in front because I like to be treated the same way.  If the cart were a car, I would be run down and left for the vultures.

I was behind a guy at Costco that paid his $231 bill in singles. Stripper? Bartender? Talk about the wrong line 

Honored Contributor

I don't mind waiting while someone writes a check, waiting while someone's sent for a price check, strangers speaking to me...

What I mind are parents who allow their children to misbehave; remove shelf price labels, play with produce, run about, scream, open products and leave them on the shelf.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I don't care how anyone pays for groceries, but the express line is so that people with limited purchases can get out of the store more quickly than standing behind someone with a full cart.  If you are going to pay with a check, at least have the date and name of grocery already on the check.  That is just a common courtesy to the other people in line.  Courtesy is a good thing (I think).

Most stores don't make you fill out anything on the check. You sign your name and the register fills everything else in. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

It seems that you yourself played a starring role in that little drama. Why so angry? 

With pages of people cheering her on, I don't get it. And where do some of you folks live? Sounds like the wild, wild, west! I live in So CA and I've never once had anything like this happen to me in a grocery store. I must be lucky.

Honestly, if this stuff was happening to me, I'd either opt for delivery or hire someone to shop for me, lol. 

I'm with you.  100%.  I thought it was just me (or maybe my mood?), but I don't understand shoving and throwing and passive-aggressive behavior when actually speaking to the offending person would be so much better.  None of this is a big deal if people would simply communicate.  I can't remember ever having a big issue in a supermarket - and I live in both a city where people are almost always in hurry, and a more rural area too.

If someone doesn't put the divider down and it's out of reach, I nicely ask for it.  If someone crowds me from behind, I say, "Sorry, I'm not finished yet"  or "Could you please step back a bit?"  If someone's groceries seem like they're about to get mixed in with mine, I say something.  Nicely, always, because I never assume that another shopper is a horrible person or intent on making my life miserable.  I'm sure on occasion I myself have probably moved too close or was daydreaming and didn't put the divider down or whatever - and I would far prefer that someone kindly let me know rather than turn things like this into unnecessary drama.

JMO.  Clearly, I am in a very tiny minority.

Esteemed Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

It's intersting as well that so many people who are always kind, always polite, and always practice good shopping manners find it perfectly acceptable to return bad behavior for bad. I guess the Golden Rule in cases like this is Do Unto Others as They Do Unto You. 

Does no one ever think that when something as benign as a box of popcorn enters your sacred bagging territory you could simply smile and say, "Excuse me but I'm still getting my groceries bagged. I'll finish as quickly as I can." 

IDK, I'm never comfortable with public displays of childish conflict. People arguing or provoking others in public--be it with strangers or people they know--gives me a bad (sort of sad) feeling. Maybe I'm too sensitive, or maybe it's because I don't see this type of thing where I shop, but it makes me super grateful for those who have said "Is that all you have? Go ahead and go in front of me." 

I agree.  For me, it's about being civil.  Jumping to an aggressive act just accelerates things.  That's how something minor becomes something major.  And it sets a terrible example for children.  Acting out rather than using words is what we teach our kids not to do.  (And yes, I'm aware that the OP acknowledged that what she did was childish.)

Communicating with words is, IMO, always the best thing to do.  At the very least, it should be the first thing tried.  In my experience, it takes minimal effort and gets the desired result.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

It seems to be more difficult today to keep one's personal space.  I don't know if it is because of cell phones, but people are not paying attention.  I am also the person who gets the dividers out.  Just yesterday, the woman in front of me apologized because I had to reach for the divider.

Probably the only thing that really drives me crazy is being in the express line and someone waiting until they get a total and then get out their check book to start writing out that check.  I want to explain to them that they could have had that check ready to go.  I haven't written a check at the grocery in years.

@SXMGirl This drives me nuts. It is sooooo old fashion to write a check when out shopping .... It holds up the line. And yes, if they must, have the check ready.

How somebody pays for their groceries isn't anybody's business.  I've been writing checks for groceries for years and I won't stop now because you don't like that.  If you don't have two or three seconds out of your so called busy lives, you're the one with the problem, not me.  I hope one day you're behind me at the grocery store.  I'll write even slower. 

Lines get held up for all kinds of reasons - the cashiers are changing shifts, someone needs a price check, customers are digging in their wallets for coupons, credit cards don't go thru the first time, etc.  So it doesn't bother me at all if someone prefers to pay with a check.  (Lots of people have them written out ahead of time with just the amount left blank, and it actually can be faster than paying with a credit card.)  

And yes, you're right.  It's no one's business how someone chooses to pay.  If the store accepts checks, then checks are fine.  I would be thrilled if the worst thing that happened to me on a particular day was that I had to wait for someone to fill in a couple of lines on a check.

Honored Contributor

This will no doubt seem nonsense; when I'm delayed, held up in a check out line, I believe I'm being kept from harm. Most times, I never know what harm I've avoided but a couple of times had I been a bit earlier I would have been involved in an accident. Maybe it's because I always feel someone there, watching over me, keeping me safe. 

Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

It's all legal tender. People that treat the store like the Indy 500 are the rude ones. I can't even count the times they have come burning around a corner, and almost knocking me, or my husband down. They run for the bakery display cases, and push ahead of people that were there first.  They run to the checkout like they have to be the first in line, never an excuse me, or I am sorry, do you hear. If they can't wait for  60 seconds for me to write a check ,tough

@cherry Bravo!!! Well said.  I can also say the same thing about our roads.  The motto today is ME, ME AND ONLY ME!  It's like I always said, I'd save a cat and a dog or any other animal on 4 legs before anything that has two legs.  At least the animal would thank me.

You would save an animal over a child?? 

Yes, I would.  Especially my own cats.

Honored Contributor

Very disturbing comments about children.  Woman Sad

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh