Honored Contributor

Re: Childish behavior at the grocery store

@cherry@I when people pay by Cheque,they usually take a lot of time to write nicely and then record it in their bank book...it really does slow things down if a couple of people do it.I never get upset by it but I am usually thinking...great why did I choose this line.

Honored Contributor

Patience  goes a long way.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I never use self checkout because it only justifies having less employees. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I'm another one who hates being crowded at the checkout. I stay way back until they are through checking out. I'll put a divider on the little conveyor belt and start putting my groceries on it, but I do not move my cart or myself physically upward until they are done. 

I've had people literally shove their cart right up to my butt. Last week I had a lady do that while I was putting grocery bags in my cart. Then the clerk asked me to scan my credit card or whatever and sign. I could not even get to the scan machine because the lady's cart was up there. I have had it with that. I just said, "I'm sorry...Your cart is right where I need to be." She said, "My cart is right where it needs to be too!" I looked at her and said, "Well, I can stand here all night if you want, but I can't scan my card and sign until you back up." She looked embarrassed and did. I remarked to the clerk that there should be one of those, "Wait behind this sign until called" signs like in the Pharmacy. People are entitled to a little space...and privacy. What if the machine rejected your card for some reason. Would you want the whole line to know?

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

It seems to be more difficult today to keep one's personal space.  I don't know if it is because of cell phones, but people are not paying attention.  I am also the person who gets the dividers out.  Just yesterday, the woman in front of me apologized because I had to reach for the divider.

Probably the only thing that really drives me crazy is being in the express line and someone waiting until they get a total and then get out their check book to start writing out that check.  I want to explain to them that they could have had that check ready to go.  I haven't written a check at the grocery in years.

@SXMGirl This drives me nuts. It is sooooo old fashion to write a check when out shopping .... It holds up the line. And yes, if they must, have the check ready.

There is nothing at all wrong with someone writing a check.  That is simply something that happens in life like waiting for someone to back out of a parking space or to pay for anything with a credit card OR cash.  No difference.  Old fashioned?  

Honored Contributor

What I have gotten from this thread is that life must be really difficult and unpleasant for a lot of angry people around us.  And they seem to want to make the rest of us angry and difficult people as well. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

It seems to be more difficult today to keep one's personal space.  I don't know if it is because of cell phones, but people are not paying attention.  I am also the person who gets the dividers out.  Just yesterday, the woman in front of me apologized because I had to reach for the divider.

Probably the only thing that really drives me crazy is being in the express line and someone waiting until they get a total and then get out their check book to start writing out that check.  I want to explain to them that they could have had that check ready to go.  I haven't written a check at the grocery in years.

@SXMGirl This drives me nuts. It is sooooo old fashion to write a check when out shopping .... It holds up the line. And yes, if they must, have the check ready.

There is nothing at all wrong with someone writing a check.  That is simply something that happens in life like waiting for someone to back out of a parking space or to pay for anything with a credit card OR cash.  No difference.  Old fashioned?  

Every once in awhile I'll pay by check(LOL) but I have it filled out except for the amount. And...I have found that when doing it this way it takes less time than the credit card going through the cc machine, having to wait for the cc machine to do it's thing (especially with the new chip cards) then have to sign. The check was faster.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio Hissy fit--hadn't heard that one in a long time.  My mom used to say it.

Honored Contributor

@TaylorBrown wrote:

@Mominohio Hissy fit--hadn't heard that one in a long time.  My mom used to say it.

@TaylorBrown Ha! Showing my age! LOL

Respected Contributor

I live in a large city (about 1 million) and grocery shop at least twice a week. I've never run into anyone like some have. And, in self checkout, someone else can't start scanning while you're still bagging.