Respected Contributor

Re: Childish behavior at the grocery store

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl wrote:

It seems to be more difficult today to keep one's personal space.  I don't know if it is because of cell phones, but people are not paying attention.  I am also the person who gets the dividers out.  Just yesterday, the woman in front of me apologized because I had to reach for the divider.

Probably the only thing that really drives me crazy is being in the express line and someone waiting until they get a total and then get out their check book to start writing out that check.  I want to explain to them that they could have had that check ready to go.  I haven't written a check at the grocery in years.

@SXMGirl This drives me nuts. It is sooooo old fashion to write a check when out shopping .... It holds up the line. And yes, if they must, have the check ready.

Honored Contributor

It may be OLD FASHION  to write a check ,but many older people do not use credit cards,or debit cards.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

It’s all about control. Adult bullying 

@scatcat You are right about that, never thought of it that way. 

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

It seems to be more difficult today to keep one's personal space.  I don't know if it is because of cell phones, but people are not paying attention.  I am also the person who gets the dividers out.  Just yesterday, the woman in front of me apologized because I had to reach for the divider.

Probably the only thing that really drives me crazy is being in the express line and someone waiting until they get a total and then get out their check book to start writing out that check.  I want to explain to them that they could have had that check ready to go.  I haven't written a check at the grocery in years.

@SXMGirl This drives me nuts. It is sooooo old fashion to write a check when out shopping .... It holds up the line. And yes, if they must, have the check ready.

How somebody pays for their groceries isn't anybody's business.  I've been writing checks for groceries for years and I won't stop now because you don't like that.  If you don't have two or three seconds out of your so called busy lives, you're the one with the problem, not me.  I hope one day you're behind me at the grocery store.  I'll write even slower. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Grocery store visits are very often amusing and not-so-funny  sometimes.

I always seem to get approached by those poor flummoxed husbands whose wives have sent them in pursuit of a very specific item and they don't know where the heck to find it on the shelf.  I really liked the guy who asked me to help him pick out a good yellow squash and said "Thank you, sweetheart".  

I learned along ago not to send my flummoxed husband in search of some minor ingredient, because he wouldn't seek help from anyone else and/or would come home with the wrong thing or nothing at all.

When I first moved to my current state about  15 months ago, I began to think some people here have nothing better to do than give advice to other shoppers.  Only ONE of those episodes was when I was looking over the olive oil selection to replace the oil I had to discard before the moving trucks came to our previous home.

I was asked by this "expert" whether I knew that olive oil could not be used at high temperatures, and she had a lot to say beyond that.  Not wanting to be rude, I put up with her advice sermon for a while and don't even remember how I managed to exit the conversation, but there were others from other people later on in different circumstances and situations.  I must have attracted this type because I spent a lot of time looking around at things.

In my previous hometown, I've had a customer in front of me in the checkout line trying to manage my grocery placement on the conveyor belt.  She eventually  was curtly told by me to mind her own grocery shopping and let me manage mine.

Seems that  just about every other week for many years, I  can come home from the store and have some either funny or annoying story to tell about grocery shopping.

Super Contributor

Where I shop, (in St. Louis) our self-checkout lanes are set up so you scan and bag your item at the same time.  There is no belt.

Re people who pay by check at the self-checkout: they are doing a disservice to the customers behind them The self-check lanes are for a limited number of items so people can get in and out of the store quickly. 

I can't believe that someone, elderly or not, has their wits about them enough to use the self-checkout lane but doesn't know how to use a debit card.

To the OP:  I would have done the same thing!  Good for you!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@forsythia1

All I can say after that post is ............WOW.    I"m not in the grocery store to perform a "service" for anyone else.    I don't pay by check, but If you think paying by check is a "disservice" to other customers, I can understand  but not endorse your frustration with your fellow shoppers.

Also, some people--regardless of age-- heed widely publicized advice to not use debit cards because they know how dangerous those can be, as opposed to other methods of payment.

As for self checkout lanes, grocery stores VERY OFTEN do not have current "sale" prices reflected in their barcodes.  I have gone back to the customer-service desk on numerous occasions to get back money when I was overcharged. 

So forget the self-checkout lanes and being in such a hurry to notice when you are being overcharged.  It happens all the time, in many different grocery stores.  Been there, done that.

Honored Contributor

I pay with a check,  and if people don't like it, tough

Esteemed Contributor

I don't care how anyone pays for groceries, but the express line is so that people with limited purchases can get out of the store more quickly than standing behind someone with a full cart.  If you are going to pay with a check, at least have the date and name of grocery already on the check.  That is just a common courtesy to the other people in line.  Courtesy is a good thing (I think).

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

It's all legal tender. People that treat the store like the Indy 500 are the rude ones. I can't even count the times they have come burning around a corner, and almost knocking me, or my husband down. They run for the bakery display cases, and push ahead of people that were there first.  They run to the checkout like they have to be the first in line, never an excuse me, or I am sorry, do you hear. If they can't wait for  60 seconds for me to write a check ,tough