Valued Contributor

Re: Childish behavior at the grocery store

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

WOW ... guess @DearPrudence was having a bad day!  In this crazy world of people & I don't care where you are ... everyone is one the "defensive" and ready to shoot, fight, or whatever else...

@DearPrudence you "flung" the popcorn back at this customer -- here in FL you're be lucky to walk out of the store "alive".... a "stand your ground" state -- if you feel threatened you can do whatever it takes to keep safe.... 

Just recently in Tampa, FL area:  Man spit out of his window ... spit hit other car ... driver got out of car at stop light...went around to drivers side (from where spit came) grabbed guy and STABBED HIM TO DEATH in BROAD DAYLIGHT!   The guy (who was stabbed) didnt mean to spit on his car ... but obviously the timing was bad for the "wind"...true story!

and

Did you ever hear of this story --  a young man was texting his young kid at home with babysitter while parents took in a matinee BEFORE previews OR movie started in our local movie theatre .

A old man was "annoyed" by the light of the phone & "texting"  -- he kept telling the guy stop put it away.  Needless to say, I don't know the details of the  "verbal altercation" BUT the young guy tossed some popcorn at him (hearsay) ...

THE OLD MAN PULLED OUT A GUN AND SHOT & KILLED HIM INSTANTLY!!! OMG....and the wife was injured also...

(I'm sure its on the internet:  Man Killed in Wesley Chapel, FL movie theatre)

It's behavior like yours (and of course I'm only going by what you said) that creates a society we have today .... I'm sure I'm going to get alot of "####" for this comment.

I pick and choose my battles ... I don't trust anyones "sanity" these days!!! No matter where I go!!!

@homedecor1  I couldn’t have said it better myself.  To me she was just as bad as the woman she threw the popcorn at.  Not worth getting shot walking to your car over something so trivial. 

If you read my post you must have seen that I did not throw or fling popcorn at anyone. I flung it back up the conveyer belt. I am not crazy. It sounds like Florida is a dangerous place to live, though.

Esteemed Contributor

It's intersting as well that so many people who are always kind, always polite, and always practice good shopping manners find it perfectly acceptable to return bad behavior for bad. I guess the Golden Rule in cases like this is Do Unto Others as They Do Unto You. 

Does no one ever think that when something as benign as a box of popcorn enters your sacred bagging territory you could simply smile and say, "Excuse me but I'm still getting my groceries bagged. I'll finish as quickly as I can." 

IDK, I'm never comfortable with public displays of childish conflict. People arguing or provoking others in public--be it with strangers or people they know--gives me a bad (sort of sad) feeling. Maybe I'm too sensitive, or maybe it's because I don't see this type of thing where I shop, but it makes me super grateful for those who have said "Is that all you have? Go ahead and go in front of me." 

Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

It seems that you yourself played a starring role in that little drama. Why so angry? 

With pages of people cheering her on, I don't get it. And where do some of you folks live? Sounds like the wild, wild, west! I live in So CA and I've never once had anything like this happen to me in a grocery store. I must be lucky.

Honestly, if this stuff was happening to me, I'd either opt for delivery or hire someone to shop for me, lol. 

@SusieQ_2

I agree. I used to live in SoCal and now live in the Midwest. I have not seen the rudeness described, either. I couldn't understand her angry response, as I wrote.

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

WOW ... guess @DearPrudence was having a bad day!  In this crazy world of people & I don't care where you are ... everyone is one the "defensive" and ready to shoot, fight, or whatever else...

@DearPrudence you "flung" the popcorn back at this customer -- here in FL you're be lucky to walk out of the store "alive".... a "stand your ground" state -- if you feel threatened you can do whatever it takes to keep safe.... 

Just recently in Tampa, FL area:  Man spit out of his window ... spit hit other car ... driver got out of car at stop light...went around to drivers side (from where spit came) grabbed guy and STABBED HIM TO DEATH in BROAD DAYLIGHT!   The guy (who was stabbed) didnt mean to spit on his car ... but obviously the timing was bad for the "wind"...true story!

and

Did you ever hear of this story --  a young man was texting his young kid at home with babysitter while parents took in a matinee BEFORE previews OR movie started in our local movie theatre .

A old man was "annoyed" by the light of the phone & "texting"  -- he kept telling the guy stop put it away.  Needless to say, I don't know the details of the  "verbal altercation" BUT the young guy tossed some popcorn at him (hearsay) ...

THE OLD MAN PULLED OUT A GUN AND SHOT & KILLED HIM INSTANTLY!!! OMG....and the wife was injured also...

It's behavior like yours (and of course I'm only going by what you said) that creates a society we have today .... I'm sure I'm going to get alot of "####" for this comment.

I pick and choose my battles ... I don't trust anyones "sanity" these days!!! No matter where I go!!!

@homedecor1  I couldn’t have said it better myself.  To me she was just as bad as the woman she threw the popcorn at.  Not worth getting shot walking to your car over something so trivial. 

If you read my post you must have seen that I did not throw or fling popcorn at anyone. I flung it back up the conveyer belt. I am not crazy. It sounds like Florida is a dangerous place to live, though.

@DearPrudence

Oops!  Yup you "flung" that popcorn right back on that conveyor belt ....then ignored the woman's comments. 

Does that justify the "anger" you had over such a trivial thing IMO...of course, jmo "little things lead to bigger things" & I'm real glad I wasn't behind you in the line!!!!  I'll leave it at that perhaps I'm "reading more into it" -- accept my apology!

Perhaps this was not her fault as in all our food stores with self-checkout 

the customer has no control over the conveyer belt moving...at least, in our stores it happens just like those shopping carts "with a mind of their own" ... WalMart self-out checkouts are the worse no room to bag or stop conveyor belt (very small checkout area).

Its not UNsafe or dangerous to live in FL ....a little common sense goes a long way no matter where one lives in this crazy world!

@DearPrudence wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

and

Honored Contributor

Wow!  I don't know where all you people live but I am in the grocery store probably three times a week and have never had any of these problems.  

Honored Contributor

None of this has ever happened to me. It's common for those in line to offer the ones with few items to check out ahead of them. Although, not everyone uses the dividers, no one seems to mind. The express check out doesn't have them and that's the one I generally use. I'm not a once a week shopper, I like my produce as fresh as possible. 

Honored Contributor

OP threw the product and whom is actually 'childish' may I ask?

Honored Contributor

And posters complain that “young people” are rude. LOL.
Super Contributor

@123SuzyQ123 wrote:

I do not like for the next customer to get up close to me as I check out.  I am one who stays way back from the current checking out person, so as not to get them flustered, and I expect the same, but rarely get it!

I don't like for them to stand close to me as I scan my debit card either!  Just last week a guy got right on me and was looking closely as I keyed in my PIN#!!   Made me so mad!

I guess everyone is busy these days and in a rush to get through the checkout lanes, but a little politeness goes a long way!!!   Just my vent for the day!

I had that happen last week. I just asked the woman to move away. She apologized and all was well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read a lot of this yesterday.  Nothing else since then, but at the end of that reading, all that just glows to me is the word, "Respect".  People want to have respect and all that entails.  Therefore, we must be sure to show it to others.  A lot of people don't get any and therefore, are angered.  Or someone thinks they should be respected and they don't get it, so again, anger.  There's so much anger now. So much!  We changed from caring in some instance, about others and it became a "ME" world.  No wonder there's so much anger.  But, that's just my view. For what that's worth.

Adding that when our basket is empty and all is on the belt, I reach over and get the seperator. Usually they say, thank you and I just say, you're welcome.  It's so easy.