Honored Contributor

Re: Childish behavior at the grocery store

@Carmie wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

I don't believe in using self check-outs.  It takes jobs away from others.  

I bet this would not have happened had a cashier been there.Woman Wink

Sometimes the cashiers don’t so any good either.  Many years ago, I got beat up in a grocery store by an irate customer and the cashier did nothing.  I screamed for her to call for help, call her manager, call the police...something and she did nothing.  I had to run out of the grocery store leaving my stuff still in my cart.

It started when I got into a long line to check out when the store was very busy.  In front of me was a cart with an infant car seat with a baby in it and a few groceries.  There was no adult that I could see there with the cart.

As people checked out and the line moved forward, I gently pushed the cart with the baby forward.  I spoke to the people in the line beside me and behind me asking if anyone saw a parent for that baby.  No one had.

Finally after maybe ten minutes, the cart with the baby was next.  I told the cashier that I didn’t know who left the baby alone and never saw anyone.  I asked her what I should do and told her I was concerned for the baby.

The cashier told me to move the cart to the side and put my stuff on the belt, so I did.  I always put the heavy stuff up first, and loaded the canned items.  Just out of no where, the mother showed up.  She started to scream at me that she was next and I was just about to tell her to go ahead and that I would wait when she picked up my canned food and started to throw it at me.  I can tell you that it hurts when you are being hit with multiple cans at the same time.

I wanted to kick her butt, but she was pretty big and the cart with the poor baby was between us.  I didn’t want to endanger the baby.  I screamed for the cashier to call someone and she just stood there in horror and did nothing.

Finally, I just ran out of the store.  When I got  home my DH was livid that I didn’t call the police and the store didn’t either and no one helped me.  I was pretty black and blue.

This was before cell phones.  I never shopped in that store again.

Another time while grocery shopping, I noticed a man opening jars of pasta sauce and using his fingers to taste them.  Then he screwed the lids back on and opened a few more doing the same.  He had a small boy with him..maybe. 6-7 years old.

I know I gave him the stink eye and his son told his dad that  I was watching them.  I was going to tell management, but this man followed me to the register and stood very close to me with an imposing look.  He scared me and I never told anyone.  I was scared and just wanted to get out of there, so I took my groceries to the car fast and left. This man who was driving a red pick up truck followed me out of the parking lot and onto the highway.  He tailgated me for miles.  I thought he was going to ram me...he was following so close.  I was afraid he was going to follow me home, so I went to the police station’s parking lot. He then left.

This last incident was many years ago too.

Lesson learned...crazy violent people have to eat and our grocery stores are full of them. Also, I always make sure jars lids  are sealed before I buy.

@Carmie.  I only want to reply to the part of your post about the man opening the jars. I caught my best friends(husband and wife) doing this in Trader Joe's.  I asked what they were doing and she said I wanted to see if he liked it. I told her what I though but she didn't care.  Made me sick.

Esteemed Contributor

No problem where we live in rural,  Maryland, WV or Pa.  The moment we head to a city all rules seem to change.  We try to be polite, put a separator of sorts BUT we often either lose our groceries or end up with more than we bargained for... paying for something we do not want.  I  try to be so careful and usually end up ok but.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ  It could potentially make other people sick too.  Introducing all that bacteria into food could be dangerous.

i always check the seals on jars after I saw that.  Some people are so gross.

At my age today, I would probably yell at someone as opposed to just giving them a dirty look.

My DH yelled at an elderly lady in Wegman’s eating olives with her fingers..licking and going back for more at their self serve olive bar.  The manager came and ordered the whole tray she was picking from thrown out and replaced. 

We have all probably eaten some pretty gross stuff without knowing it.

Respected Contributor

It seems that you yourself played a starring role in that little drama. Why so angry? 

Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

It seems that you yourself played a starring role in that little drama. Why so angry? 

With pages of people cheering her on, I don't get it. And where do some of you folks live? Sounds like the wild, wild, west! I live in So CA and I've never once had anything like this happen to me in a grocery store. I must be lucky.

Honestly, if this stuff was happening to me, I'd either opt for delivery or hire someone to shop for me, lol. 

Honored Contributor

I've been lucky to have nice, cordial and sometime quite friendly people in line at the check out. Only a few times has there been women who were rude, but I just ignore them. If I'm with my husband though, he will act all huffy if someone is trying to horn in on our check out space.

Honored Contributor

If I ever witness any grocery items being flung back toward the offender I will just LOL.

I have, on occasion, butted an encroaching grocery wagon back towards a "busy" shopper.  No one is so danged busy that they have to stand on top of you while you're finishing bagging your groceries or paying.

They're just rude and, as someone said earlier in the thread, trying to exert control.

But flying popcorn boxes would make me laugh.

Respected Contributor

I find that these days people just don't care about one another. Some people are out for themselves. It's sad. People are not kind, courteous or have patience anymore. I think some people are stressed out and take their frustrations out on others, some people are just not nice, so they don't care and some people have a sense of entitlement and everything revolves around their needs. Then, sometimes you can see that someone is not well, so I accept their treatment because they probably don't realize what they are doing. I always try to be considerate as I would want them to be to me but it doesn't always work that way. If someone is encroaching my privacy while I am trying to pay, I'll say something polite but still say something. If I'm on line in any store and the person is right behind and just about to basically attach themselves to me, I take my handbag and fling it back, they move right away. No one has ever said anything to me when I've done that. I try not to get in someone's space. If I do, I expect to be told to please move or for them to fling their handbag at me. I hold doors for people even though they do not hold doors for me. If I hold a door for someone and they don't say thank you, I say thank you! My husband doesn't like when I do that. A simple thank you, is that so hard and unreasonable? Anyway, I think people should be polite and considerate but I don't really expect that anymore. As I said, it's a sad state of affairs.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

WOW ... guess @DearPrudence was having a bad day!  In this crazy world of people & I don't care where you are ... everyone is one the "defensive" and ready to shoot, fight, or whatever else...

@DearPrudence you "flung" the popcorn back at this customer -- here in FL you're be lucky to walk out of the store "alive".... a "stand your ground" state -- if you feel threatened you can do whatever it takes to keep safe.... 

Just recently in Tampa, FL area:  Man spit out of his window ... spit hit other car ... driver got out of car at stop light...went around to drivers side (from where spit came) grabbed guy and STABBED HIM TO DEATH in BROAD DAYLIGHT!   The guy (who was stabbed) didnt mean to spit on his car ... but obviously the timing was bad for the "wind"...true story!

and

Did you ever hear of this story --  a young man was texting his young kid at home with babysitter while parents took in a matinee BEFORE previews OR movie started in our local movie theatre .

A old man was "annoyed" by the light of the phone & "texting"  -- he kept telling the guy stop put it away.  Needless to say, I don't know the details of the  "verbal altercation" BUT the young guy tossed some popcorn at him (hearsay) ...

THE OLD MAN PULLED OUT A GUN AND SHOT & KILLED HIM INSTANTLY!!! OMG....and the wife was injured also...

(I'm sure its on the internet:  Man Killed in Wesley Chapel, FL movie theatre)

It's behavior like yours (and of course I'm only going by what you said) that creates a society we have today .... I'm sure I'm going to get alot of "####" for this comment.

I pick and choose my battles ... I don't trust anyones "sanity" these days!!! No matter where I go!!!

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

WOW ... guess @DearPrudence was having a bad day!  In this crazy world of people & I don't care where you are ... everyone is one the "defensive" and ready to shoot, fight, or whatever else...

@DearPrudence you "flung" the popcorn back at this customer -- here in FL you're be lucky to walk out of the store "alive".... a "stand your ground" state -- if you feel threatened you can do whatever it takes to keep safe.... 

Just recently in Tampa, FL area:  Man spit out of his window ... spit hit other car ... driver got out of car at stop light...went around to drivers side (from where spit came) grabbed guy and STABBED HIM TO DEATH in BROAD DAYLIGHT!   The guy (who was stabbed) didnt mean to spit on his car ... but obviously the timing was bad for the "wind"...true story!

and

Did you ever hear of this story --  a young man was texting his young kid at home with babysitter while parents took in a matinee BEFORE previews OR movie started in our local movie theatre .

A old man was "annoyed" by the light of the phone & "texting"  -- he kept telling the guy stop put it away.  Needless to say, I don't know the details of the  "verbal altercation" BUT the young guy tossed some popcorn at him (hearsay) ...

THE OLD MAN PULLED OUT A GUN AND SHOT & KILLED HIM INSTANTLY!!! OMG....and the wife was injured also...

(I'm sure its on the internet:  Man Killed in Wesley Chapel, FL movie theatre)

It's behavior like yours (and of course I'm only going by what you said) that creates a society we have today .... I'm sure I'm going to get alot of "####" for this comment.

I pick and choose my battles ... I don't trust anyones "sanity" these days!!! No matter where I go!!!

@homedecor1  I couldn’t have said it better myself.  To me she was just as bad as the woman she threw the popcorn at.  Not worth getting shot walking to your car over something so trivial.