Honored Contributor

Re: Childish behavior at the grocery store

Yeah....    That's why I order my groceries on Peapod and have them delivered.  I don't have time for foolishness like that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Here's another grocery store story...........

I always bring my own recycable bags and plus a thermo bag for the frozen stuff. 

I put my bags at the front of my order,  and proceded to unload my groceries from my cart to the belt....and I couldnt belief the cashier she actually told me to take my bags and hand them to the bagger....WHAT???  She couldn't just push them down to where the bagger was waiting!!!!  I told her Im sorry Im too busy unloading my cart......she gave me a dirty look and handed the bags to the person bagging.  Now the person bagging was just as swift....she put my frozen stuff in a regular cycle bag and put my dry cat food and paper towels in the thermo bag.....the thermo bag is one I purchased from that same grocery store and has their logo on it....and they have them displayed at the front of the store 

I noticed as I was pushing out my grocery cart, that the same cashier was fussing and being bossy to the next customer in line for not pushing her basket near enough to the bagger.....what the heck was up with her!!!

Sadly this grocery store chain is the main one in our town, the chain underpriced and drove other national store chains away!

@Spurt, first I put my thermal bag down, followed by whatever I want to into it. Then I put down one or two regulare recyclable bags, followed by the rest.

It helps, and most of them know me by now. But still, I do have to remind them sometimes. They really are not concentrating on the inside of the bags.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Here's another grocery store story...........

I always bring my own recycable bags and plus a thermo bag for the frozen stuff. 

I put my bags at the front of my order,  and proceded to unload my groceries from my cart to the belt....and I couldnt belief the cashier she actually told me to take my bags and hand them to the bagger....WHAT???  She couldn't just push them down to where the bagger was waiting!!!!  I told her Im sorry Im too busy unloading my cart......she gave me a dirty look and handed the bags to the person bagging.  Now the person bagging was just as swift....she put my frozen stuff in a regular cycle bag and put my dry cat food and paper towels in the thermo bag.....the thermo bag is one I purchased from that same grocery store and has their logo on it....and they have them displayed at the front of the store 

I noticed as I was pushing out my grocery cart, that the same cashier was fussing and being bossy to the next customer in line for not pushing her basket near enough to the bagger.....what the heck was up with her!!!

Sadly this grocery store chain is the main one in our town, the chain underpriced and drove other national store chains away!

@Spurt, first I put my thermal bag down, followed by whatever I want to into it. Then I put down one or two regulare recyclable bags, followed by the rest.

It helps, and most of them know me by now. But still, I do have to remind them sometimes. They really are not concentrating on the inside of the bags.

@suzyQ3

I used to ask the baggers politely to put the cold/frozen stuff in the thermo bag please....but I got tired of the eye rolls I got in response....  Maybe yours is the solution I need to use....thanks! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt, I can't guarantee immediate success. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

It seems to be more difficult today to keep one's personal space.  I don't know if it is because of cell phones, but people are not paying attention.  I am also the person who gets the dividers out.  Just yesterday, the woman in front of me apologized because I had to reach for the divider.

Probably the only thing that really drives me crazy is being in the express line and someone waiting until they get a total and then get out their check book to start writing out that check.  I want to explain to them that they could have had that check ready to go.  I haven't written a check at the grocery in years.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes people just get under foot.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I think we are all childish at times.....it's okay. 

Honored Contributor

At least you don't seem to be proud of your behavior. Letting it go would have been a better option.

Honored Contributor

For crying out loud, it's the GROCERY STORE!  I'm amazed.  I am simply amazed.  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I don't believe in using self check-outs.  It takes jobs away from others.  

I bet this would not have happened had a cashier been there.Woman Wink

Sometimes the cashiers don’t so any good either.  Many years ago, I got beat up in a grocery store by an irate customer and the cashier did nothing.  I screamed for her to call for help, call her manager, call the police...something and she did nothing.  I had to run out of the grocery store leaving my stuff still in my cart.

It started when I got into a long line to check out when the store was very busy.  In front of me was a cart with an infant car seat with a baby in it and a few groceries.  There was no adult that I could see there with the cart.

As people checked out and the line moved forward, I gently pushed the cart with the baby forward.  I spoke to the people in the line beside me and behind me asking if anyone saw a parent for that baby.  No one had.

Finally after maybe ten minutes, the cart with the baby was next.  I told the cashier that I didn’t know who left the baby alone and never saw anyone.  I asked her what I should do and told her I was concerned for the baby.

The cashier told me to move the cart to the side and put my stuff on the belt, so I did.  I always put the heavy stuff up first, and loaded the canned items.  Just out of no where, the mother showed up.  She started to scream at me that she was next and I was just about to tell her to go ahead and that I would wait when she picked up my canned food and started to throw it at me.  I can tell you that it hurts when you are being hit with multiple cans at the same time.

I wanted to kick her butt, but she was pretty big and the cart with the poor baby was between us.  I didn’t want to endanger the baby.  I screamed for the cashier to call someone and she just stood there in horror and did nothing.

Finally, I just ran out of the store.  When I got  home my DH was livid that I didn’t call the police and the store didn’t either and no one helped me.  I was pretty black and blue.

This was before cell phones.  I never shopped in that store again.

Another time while grocery shopping, I noticed a man opening jars of pasta sauce and using his fingers to taste them.  Then he screwed the lids back on and opened a few more doing the same.  He had a small boy with him..maybe. 6-7 years old.

I know I gave him the stink eye and his son told his dad that  I was watching them.  I was going to tell management, but this man followed me to the register and stood very close to me with an imposing look.  He scared me and I never told anyone.  I was scared and just wanted to get out of there, so I took my groceries to the car fast and left. This man who was driving a red pick up truck followed me out of the parking lot and onto the highway.  He tailgated me for miles.  I thought he was going to ram me...he was following so close.  I was afraid he was going to follow me home, so I went to the police station’s parking lot. He then left.

This last incident was many years ago too.

Lesson learned...crazy violent people have to eat and our grocery stores are full of them. Also, I always make sure jars lids  are sealed before I buy.