Honored Contributor

Re: Childish behavior at the grocery store

@DearPrudence wrote:

By me. I couldn't help myself.  I went through the self check out lane since I only had a few items. As soon as the receipt printed, I moved to the end and I noticed that another customer had walked up to the check out.  Before I could  even start bagging, sure enough a box of popcorn arrived in my groceries.  There was another box on the way down the rollers.  I flung the one that was mixed in with my groceries back up the conveyor rollers. I bagged until the next box of popcorn arrived in my groceries, then flung that one back too.  I ignored the huffy comment from the woman that she'd "just get that stuff out of my way". 

@DearPrudenceSometimes a girl has to do what a girl's gotta do! I like that you flung it back...a girl after my own heart. And I also think you were gracious not to get into it with her when she rudely got into your space.

Honored Contributor

Some of the worst people I have ever ran into ,have been grocery store shoppers...I thinik they come out to shop, with a chip on their shoulders

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

I don't like being crowded at the check out.  Sometimes I can be paying for my groceries and the person behind me will have their cart practically up my backside.  I usually use said backside to give it a shove back in their direction.

@faeriemoon I don't like it either at a checkout.  Or at the pharmacy.  There should be a little cone of privacy we're entitled to while we're ringing up our orders.  I've told a few people to step it back a bit unless they're paying.

Honored Contributor

Image result for fight grocery store gif

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I give the people in from of me plenty of space and time to check out and bag.   I won't even start scanning until I see them putting their last item into a bag. I do so because I know how uncomfortable it is for me when I am in their position with someone waiting behind me.

What I have started doing now if there is a lot to bag, is to not check out until I  am done bagging.   That way the person behind me can't start scanning.  I don't do this when DH is with me because he bags as I scan and check out.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Sometimes people just deserve our little hissy fits. 

This is going to be my new motto in life, because it is really true!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I also hate people trying to rush me when I’m at the self checkout.  I always leave my cart behind me rather than in front of me so the next person can’t get too close.  But I always put the arm down when I’m bagging so the next person can start checking out and if they finish checking out before I’m done bagging I offer them some bags to start bagging in their area. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Do NOT crowd me or push me when I am in line!  I need air.   I don't do this to other shoppers and don't like when it's done to me.   So I agree with you here.

Valued Contributor

I had a guy in front of me one time who I thought was with a woman who had just a few groceries in a basket. She checked out and left and he just stood there with no groceries or anything on the conveyer belt. (thought maybe he was daydreaming & just not paying attention). So I moved up behind him a little closer and he yelled at me (don't remember what it was he said exactly). I said something like "I am the next one in line." still thinking he was with the woman in front of me.  Turns out, he was going to stand there until his SO was done shopping and they wouldn't have to wait in line! LOL! Told him it doesn't work that way and he could wait after I was through if other people let him.

cookin

Honored Contributor

It must have been that kind of week at the grocery store.

I went through the regular checkout lane while shopping.  I started to put my groceries on the belt.  A man came in the line behind me and grabbed a divider.  He started putting his stuff on the belt and the divider was right up against my groceries so I had nowhere to put my stuff except up front where the cashier was pulling stuff off to run it through the register.

I finally took the divider and pushed it back a little, pushing some of his groceries.  I wasn't going to say anything but the cashier kept saying "excuse me" to him to tell him to stop putting his stuff up there and crowding me.  She kept giving him the stink eye and shaking her head as he was unloading.  He finally looked up and she told him to quit crowding me and move his stuff back.  LOL