Honored Contributor

Re: Childhood Memories of Buying School Supplies

@trenet  Yes, it was LePage's paste!  Thank you for that.  It was amber as another poster here described it (although I've never heard of the either brand or word she used for it).   Your description was right-on.

And yes, I hated ruining my new pink eraser by having to use it for the first time!   I loved when I discovered those erasers we used to put on the ends of pencils as a larger eraser than what the pencil came with (even though those larger ones always ripped somewhere and broke off the pencil).  If I used those, I didn't have to "ruin" the symmetry of my new pink one and make it black with erased pencil!   And here I teased @suzyQ3 for being OCD!   LOL!   With me wanting to keep a pristine eraser all school year! 

Honored Contributor

I would start out the school year so neat and tidy. Making subject dividers for all my classes and having exactly the same amount of paper in each one. Then , in high school, when I got my schedule I'd tape it to the inside of my binder until I memorized it. As the year progressed , and that binder got lugged back & forth every day in all the weather, it got to be very messy. We would pass notes a lot in school , so I had a pocket where I'd keep them, in my notebook.It was supposed to hold pencils but all that was ever in it were paper scraps with notes.

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

Love this thread. Yep I remember it fondly. Went to Catholic school all 12years and couldn’t have the nifty notebooks. Nuns insisted on the black marble composition books and no spiral bound notebooks either!  I remember we carried those briefcase looking bookbags and we loved the smell of the new one if you didnt use last years!  We shopped at Kravitz shoe store uptown Baltimore for our saddle shoes and Epsteins for the peter pan collar puff sleeved blouses and uniforms. Wow...

@bmorechick  Thank you kindly!  I'm really enjoying reading people's experiences from childhood, which have brought back a lot of memories of things I hadn't thought of in many years.

Esteemed Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

I hated everythinh about my childhood,my dad filled an empty cigar box with school supplies from the list the teacher gave out

I am so sorry to hear that. However, I will say that the kids in my neighborhood including myself, all loved finding cigar boxes to put our cherished things in. Finding an empty one was considered a treasure.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I went to the schools that were located on military posts. I was a military brat. They paid for everything. All we had to do is show up for class.

What I used to look forward to was the smell of those 'ditto copies' the teachers would hand out....lol! Woman Very Happy

@SilleeMee   LOL - I would say "ditto" except that I hated that smell!  Smiley Happy

As a kid I loved the smell of the ditto paper. As a teacher, I only used them a few years and then they were banned altogether as a health hazzard because of the fumes in the copy room. We used mimeo stencils that eventually went by the wayside as well when we all used the big xerox in the main office. The stencils themselves didn't stink as they used printer's ink, but the correction fluid if you made a typo had ether in it. You had to be careful not to breathe in that or you'd be light headed for the next hour.

Honored Contributor

Speaking of ditto paper, remember typing copies onto  onion skin paper?   We were still using that when I entered the workforce!  <eek>

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I remember getting brand new Pee chees.......do they still sell those today?

@SeaMaiden

What are Pee chees?  I'm wondering if it's regional , or if we went to school in different decades, because I've never heard of them. 

@shoesnbags    Here  is a sample of the covers.... 1960's- 1980's....  there were many different cover pictures to choose from... they would hold your  papers and everyone would scribble and write down things all over them through out the school year.  So each Pee Chee would become very unique! They had information inside them as well.....

be4c0156a5e029be950efbb712cee7b2.jpgPee-Chee-tables.jpg

I've never heard of  Pee chees, but I do remember those tables!   We had those folder thingys but just didn't have a name for them!