Esteemed Contributor

Re: Childhood Memories of Buying School Supplies

I loved getting that big box of Crayola crayons!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I remember getting brand new Pee chees.......do they still sell those today?

@SeaMaiden

What are Pee chees?  I'm wondering if it's regional , or if we went to school in different decades, because I've never heard of them. 

@shoesnbags    Here  is a sample of the covers.... 1960's- 1980's....  there were many different cover pictures to choose from... they would hold your  papers and everyone would scribble and write down things all over them through out the school year.  So each Pee Chee would become very unique! They had information inside them as well.....

be4c0156a5e029be950efbb712cee7b2.jpgPee-Chee-tables.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I remember getting brand new Pee chees.......do they still sell those today?

Not sure. I will have to check Walmart. I didn't see your post. I remember getting those, and shopping at Miller's Outpost. (which is now called Anchor Blue)

Esteemed Contributor

I too remember getting all new supplies, a new zipper pouch to hold pencils, erasers, etc., paper, binders, etc. only to give up on the zipper pouch halfway through first semester and always be hunting for a pen or pencil after that. As a teacher, I required all of my students to have a separate English binder with specific dividers and a daily calender of events they were to keep. Some did very well keeping everything in order. Others, not so much, even though they knew periodic checks would be part of their grades. Invariably, the day before I checked, there would always be some who would come in after school and I would have to help them get their binders back in order, only to have them lapse into disarray until the next check. I even gave them the incentive to be able to use all their notes and past assignments on tests, but even that didn't work with some. I came to the conclusion that organizational skills don't come naturally with everybody. It requires constant self discipline. I know it only too well because I am a very abstract random person who has forced the concrete sequential side all my life.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, I've never seen these.  Thanks, @SeaMaiden .  I was in school in the 50s & 60s in the South.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

All I need to do is look at this photo and I can smell the rubber on this book strap... so high tech in its day, lol.

d8028fc3a489153f8a3b502e5b4a2af3.jpg

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I hated everythinh about my childhood,my dad filled an empty cigar box with school supplies from the list the teacher gave out

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I went to the schools that were located on military posts. I was a military brat. They paid for everything. All we had to do is show up for class.

What I used to look forward to was the smell of those 'ditto copies' the teachers would hand out....lol! Woman Very Happy

@SilleeMee   LOL - I would say "ditto" except that I hated that smell!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I was a budding obsessive-compulsive and loved organizing my school supplies every semester. I have a vague memory of my dad taking me to a particular store whose owner he knew to buy my stash.

Flashback to those awful reinforcers you had to use when your three-holed notebook paper ripped out a hole.

@suzyQ3  LOL!  So are you full-blown now? Smiley Happy

Yes, yes, yes, those awful reinforcements!  Thanks for that memory.  They lasted maybe a day or two (if they worked at all) and then fell off!   This may sound odd, but when I was sticking them on, the always reminded me of those round yellow plastic disks we stuck into the middle of 45 records in those days.  I think I  used the same "placement procedure" to put on the reinforcements that I used for the disks.

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2  Weejuns!  Blast from the past!   Thanks for that memory.