Respected Contributor

Childhood Bedrooms

[ Edited ]

Does anyones family still have their childhood bedroom how it was when you moved out ? 

I see this so often on Hallmark movies and other movies.  The adult goes to their childhood home and there is their old bedroom looking the same.Cat Tongue

When I moved out they totally changed the look of that room and used for computer room lol. Cat LOLCat LOL

Plus I took all of my things with me!

Honored Contributor

Mine was kept the same until the house was sold after my parents had died.

Honored Contributor

I've seen that on lifetime movies.  I shared a room with my sister.  The room was repurposed.  I don't think I know anyone that still has their room.

Honored Contributor

My childhood home was sold soon after I got married.  I still have my bedroom furniture though.

My daughter took her bedroom furniture and uses it for her daughter and my youngest son took his bedroom furniture when he moved out of our home.

i still have the quilts and curtains my children used in their rooms when they were young in storage boxes. They are still like brand new and bring back lovely memories.

Their bedrooms have been updated since they left.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Childhood Bedrooms

[ Edited ]

@FlowerBear wrote:

Does anyones family still have their childhood bedroom how it was when you moved out ? 

I see this so often on Hallmark movies and other movies.  The adult goes to their childhood home and there is their old bedroom looking the same.Cat Tongue

When I moved out they totally changed the look of that room and used for computer room lol. Cat LOLCat LOL

@FlowerBear  ... my bedroom remained the same until I sold the house in 2012 after my Mom passed away.  My bedroom furniture was still in great condition so I gave it to my brother's SIL to put in her beach house.  

My brother took his childhood bedroom furniture when he purchased his first house.  His oldest daughter now has it in her bedroom. 

Honored Contributor

Even though she moved out 5 1/2 years ago, our daughters bedroom is still the same.  We wanted her to know there would always be a place for her.

She's getting married in November and I think we will repurpose it then.

Honored Contributor

No.  House was torn down to make room for hospital expansion in the late 1960s, and I was already gone from the house (marred).

Honored Contributor

I left that room when 35 years ago when I got married.  I shared it with my two younger sisters and didn't give a single thought after my wedding.  Daughter #1 left home for college at 18 and never returned to the family home, except for the occasional weekend and Christmas week.  Daughter #2 commuted to college and moved into her own place a few months after she graduated college.  Like her sister, she always spent Christmas week at home.  Their rooms stayed the same until we sold the house and downsized.  We had a huge house so we didn't need their rooms for anything.  I think if we had stayed in that house, their room wouldn't have changed much.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
You are right about it being commonplace in Hallmark movies. I'd turn them into guest rooms.
Honored Contributor

I expected one of my brothers to move into my old room after I left home, but they continued to share the same room until they also left home.   I left no personal items in my room, so it became the guest bedroom.   

Once my dad went on home oxygen, mom never adjusted to the sound of the machine, and became the permanent guest in my old room.   She continues to sleep in there many years later.