Honored Contributor

Re: Childhood Asthma:'Too-clean' Environment to Blame?

@NoelSeven

Oh, I am sorry that you and your daughter have it too!

Wanted to add that the asthma/allergist told us to get rid of our dogs/take out wall-to-wall carpet in her bedroom (where she slept)/take out blinds and install rollers/use a HEPA filter...

We held off on everything and little by little ended up doing everything he said to preserve her health.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Hi Noel, et al!  Smiley Happy

I didn't grow up in a vacuum either and I had it from the time I was a very small child.  It did lighten WAY up for some years, then came back.  But I've been asthmatic more than not. 

Anyway, I was the only one in the immediate family who was asthmatic.   So, to say that there are a zillion variables would almost be an understatement.

It couldn't possibly be just one thing.   As much as having to sit in a closed up car with somebody smoking gagged me unbelievably, the other kids were in the same car and none of them came up with asthma.

I think there aer elements in one's individual physiology - such as Noel's auto-immune disease - that make some more prone than others.  Then there are so many environmental variables.   I grew up in N. CA and I don't think it was smoggy there, but I can totally see how that would be elemental.   Like others have said, there are as many variables as there are people.   So, the OP isn't any more wrong than anything else, as it was mentioned as just one problematic area of many.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1

Thank you, and I am sorry your daughter also suffered.  I'm with you, I don't think it's about a too clean environment.

We also did everything the allergy/asthma doctor advised.  We have hardwood floors so kept her room bare.  Also washable curtains, which I did weekly.  And the HEPA filter Smiley Happy

The dog had passed by the time she was diagnosed, but we did have a family cat.  We were advised to keep the cat out of the bedrooms and we've gone to great extent to accomplish that, lol.  She also developed an allergy to onions a couple of years ago, literally overnight. 

She and I were doing well, under control, until recently.  Drought Asthma.  Our hospitals are overwhelmed with asthama patients becasue of the drought.  Rain cleans the air, we have had almost none for four years.  As a result, the toxins and particles are on the ground and constantly sitrred up by a breeze or even a car going by.

I hope your daughter is doing well Heart

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven

Thanks!  She is in her early 30's now... the first child, our granddaughter, has double ear infection and has had a couple of scares with breathing "episodes."  They are keeping a close eye... she is 20 months and just recently they were told to add in Benedryl (to dry her sinuses up) every day.  No inhalers yet.

Their home may have had animals (owned previously)

DD feels that the kids eyes are "crusty" living in Northern PA as opposed to Pittsburgh. (?)  They give her (the girl) whole milk daily... (I oppose this).

My mom had some immune system disorder which she was in denial about... I know I have two IgG subsets which are low.  DD has the asthma/eczema/allergy triad.

Allergy shots really helped DD.  However, she swore she didn't need her inhaler and managed to avoid strenuous exercise until pressed into it by herself in a National Drill Team competition -- high kicks -- when she motioned to me that she couldn't go on and pointed toward her throat.

It wasn't until I showed her the VIDEO that she saw herself struggling to breathe.

Other family members here in TX have asthma. (nephew -- it is bad).

So, she has learned when to grab her inhaler, and maybe as a mom she will be more proactive with her kids then she is toward her own malady.

Big question mark... she was on antibiotics for years and so was I... and there still isn't anything for the medical community to turn to as therapy for chronic stuff that sets this off too... 

Honored Contributor

My youngest daughter loves dairy, and was having an issue with asthma. 

After researching asthma triggers, we figured out it was the dairy.  As soon as we limitied the amount of dairy she was eating/drinking, it was no longer a problem.  I wanted to avoid an inhaler; thankfully, she didn't need one.

Honored Contributor

Lots of excellent experiences/suggestions here.  Better to be informed, just in case we unexpectedly develop allergies/breathing problems and/or asthma. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

My youngest daughter loves dairy, and was having an issue with asthma. 

After researching asthma triggers, we figured out it was the dairy.  As soon as we limitied the amount of dairy she was eating/drinking, it was no longer a problem.  I wanted to avoid an inhaler; thankfully, she didn't need one.

Mine has a dairy problem, also, she's lactose intolerant.  She was thrilled during the heat spell to discover an "ice cream" made with almond milk.  It is pretty good, she gave me a taste.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I have chronic sinus as does DD and DGD.

Cannot eat anything "sticky" like yogurt/pudding... anything that "sticks" to throat passages just makes me have a sinus infection.

I'll bet we'd better get some raspberry sherbet, tho! YUM!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

With all due respect I still don't see where the article in my

OP or the one from NPR claim those are the only causes

or links to childhood asthma.  I think it's also accepted 

that other factors come into play as well. I'm glad

theres studies going on and maybe they will help

in some understanding of this.

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

I have asthma, it's part of the lupus profile.  My daughter developed asthma in childhood.  I don't know if there's a genetic element or not.

My daughter loved play, in the dirt and swimming.  She went to camp every summer.  Away camp, in the woods.  She always came back with a lot of mosquito bites and various cuts and bruises.  She was not the princess type.  My point is, she was not raised in a sterile environment, she was also raised with a dog and cats.

When she was in high school, kids gathered during lunch hour in the yard and so many of them whipped out their inhalers. 

The thinking is that pollutants in the air has done it, and in CA there is evidence to back that up.

I had a couple of bad attacks in the beginning, before I got the meds/inhaler and learned what to do.  Scared the living daylights out of me, not being able to breathe.

@NoelSeven

I just learned something. My dad died in 1979, sixteen years after his Lupus diagnosis. I have since known several people with Lupus, but this is the first time I've heard the asthma connection. 

Thanks for that info.