Esteemed Contributor

Re: Childhood Asthma:'Too-clean' Environment to Blame?

I am no expert, and no scientist.  From where I sit, though (and I have asthma, which is controlled), the breakdown occurs in the world around us.  Anti-bacterial handwashes simply contribute to the degradation of natural processes that need to exist in order to maintain a balance of good and bad.  This society (and I'm not including all; it's what I've seen around me) has gotten further and further away from an understanding of that.

Granted, medical advances often have miraculous outcomes, and I have been the beneficiary.  I am appreciative.  In my ideal world, however, not only would civics and philosophy be emphasized, but so would the link between human existence and the rest of the natural world.  Computer "science" would be an aid, not an end.

If you have a chance, go back and read Silent Spring.

Thanks for the opportunity to speak.  (i wonder, too - how much "germ" transmission happens at the keyboard).

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I am no expert, and no scientist.  From where I sit, though (and I have asthma, which is controlled), the breakdown occurs in the world around us.  Anti-bacterial handwashes simply contribute to the degradation of natural processes that need to exist in order to maintain a balance of good and bad.  This society (and I'm not including all; it's what I've seen around me) has gotten further and further away from an understanding of that.

Granted, medical advances often have miraculous outcomes, and I have been the beneficiary.  I am appreciative.  In my ideal world, however, not only would civics and philosophy be emphasized, but so would the link between human existence and the rest of the natural world.  Computer "science" would be an aid, not an end.

If you have a chance, go back and read Silent Spring.

Thanks for the opportunity to speak.  (i wonder, too - how much "germ" transmission happens at the keyboard).

Good point, it is reported that a keyboard is one of  the dirtiest areas in the house.  

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@embgm Bless your heart for being a good mom and dealing with bcHeart

@Sweetbay magnolia

Sorry that you have needed so many treatments.

To my way of thinking, everyone might agree that humans have degraded the environment in such a way that illness has increased.

the keyboard issue... I cannot help but feel that I caught staph from computer keyboards while working with students in school.  Once I realized this, I carried a baby wipe ALWAYS and swiped over surfaces whenever I could.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~