Honored Contributor

Re: Childen Left in Cars To Die

Happens every summer.  Especially in the South.  Their summers can be brutal.  I count myself lucky it never happened to my child.  We were always aware of him.  I remember deciding not to drive with him in the car if we could avoid it.  When he was a baby, I'd go on Saturdays food shopping, etc with my husband staying home with him.  It was rare he was in the car when he was small.  

Honored Contributor

@VanSleepy 

What else would she say? If both children had gotten out of the car, they both would have followed her into the house. If there had been six children, it's possible to miss one, but not half of them. Five year old children are intrusive, underfoot, and usually want to help.

Honored Contributor

Anyone who has returned to their car in a parking lot after shopping on a hot summer day doesn't need to be told how hot it gets. People in shorts have gotten burns on their legs from the seat. 

Trusted Contributor

Putting your cell phone or something else to remind you have a  child in the backseat is sickening.   How a parent can forget a child is mind blowing.   Put that parent in a hot car for a few hours for a punishment.   I have four kids.    They babble away in the car.   no way they could or should be forgotten

Honored Contributor

We have heard about the dangers in hot cars for children and animals for years, and years!

Prison sentences should be mandatory!

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG   Agree 100%

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is unfathomable how one could forget their child in the car. Our society must be creating a group of morons. This is not a toy; this is a human being left to suffer a horrible death..They should go straight to jail and never see the light of day. I know they are going to be tried by a jury but that child left to die was not given an opportunity to live.

This breaks my heart to think of an innocent child being tortured. I read that they literally cook from the inside out. I have always thought the person should receive the same type of punishment. So very sad..

Animals are left in cars that are too hot.  People must be mentally deranged. This topic makes me so angry about needless suffering. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't understand why the child, being 5 years old, couldn't get out of his seatbelt and honk the horn for help. Most 5 year olds can get out of a seatbelt.
Respected Contributor

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:
I don't understand why the child, being 5 years old, couldn't get out of his seatbelt and honk the horn for help. Most 5 year olds can get out of a seatbelt.

That's the first thing I thought, too. Apparently it was a rental car and they are thinking he was unfamiliar with the seatbelt and couldn't undo it.

Honored Contributor

@Steffdoggy10 

I 've been wondering about that too.  I hope there's a complete autopsy including a drug screen.