Respected Contributor

Re: Child Free Zones on Planes: Yay or Nay?

If a screaming, crying child is sitting behind you, even way back behind you, you don't have a chance of a peaceful flight.  Their voices project forward.

If they are sitting ahead of you, you may have a chance of some peace.

Same thing in a movie theater.  I'll try to sit in the back row so nobody is sitting behind me.  I can tune them out if they are ahead of me by a few rows.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm all for child-free zones in just about any place. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I'm all for child-free zones in just about any place. 

Unfortunately, I think you have company. Some would rather never get within a few feet of a child.

It's not fun to be annoyed by screaming or temper tantrums or any other kind of bad behavior. But fencing off families with children "in just about any place" is a draconian solution, to put it mildly.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I can see this being an appealing option to many people. I can't say that I have had a terrible experience on a flight with a child. There have been times where they have cried for a long time but it seemed they always had parents who really tried their best to do everything they could to soothe that child. I mean I can't get upset at a parent(s) who are really trying and just as mortified. They had a bag full of tricks too so they came prepared. I have been there and unlike a restaurant, you can't exactly step outside to soothe the child or leave even if they don't calm down. However I do realize that doesn't make it less annoying for many. 

My husbands flight most recently he sat in front of a 3 or 4 yr old who sat on his seat and kept patting my husbands head. Now we have an almost 3 yr old grandson so my husband is very accustomed to that age and all that comes with it. However while he thought the initial patting on his head was kind of funny, he did enjoy the next two hours of it as neither parent on the plane said one word for him to stop or to seat himself. My husband turned around after the first 10 min and explained he was working for the remainder of the flight. They initially had him sit down and after that I guess they felt the child was told once and that was enough despite him continuing to do it. lol! My husband turned around again and said, please could you keep an eye on him, this needs to stop. That apparently put them out a bit. Thankfully a flight attendant interceded. My husband said the parents were not thrilled about that. Sorry but you're not unreasonable if you are asked by a flight attendant of the "pat-ee of a head" to have your child refrain from making physical contact with another passenger. I mean come on. That is a little much even for people who love kids and my husband politely told them that. You really shouldn't have to tell parents this though. It is ike an unspoken rule, RIGHT?

I think better than a child free zone would be a child free flight for those not interested in even sharing a flight with a child. Nothing wrong with that if there are people who just don't enjoy it. I can see that especially for longer flights where people are annoyed to just have to be in a plane at all much less share it with a child. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

How about a bad parent free zone?  Anyone that allows their kid to kick the seat in front of them for three hours ought to be segregated.  Frankly the crying babies don't bother me, I consciously thought about this the last time I flew.  The air filtration  fans seemed to block them out. 

Honored Contributor

i would not mind the idea, but i would never pay extra for it.

i am a fairly frequent flyer and rarely have any "problem children" bothering me. yes, there have been a few times with crying babies, but that is NORMAL.....it doesnt bother me. i feel more sorry for the mother or father. i think in all the years of flying i have had only one or two incidences of kids kicking my seat, but it has not lasted the entire flight.

i sleep pretty well on the plane, as long as i have a window seat.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

I am a Road Warrior and I'm on several planes weekly.  First thing into the airport past TSA, I insert my Bose Noise Cancelling earphones.  They are life changing.  I cannot fly without them.

I've had a few flights with unruly children and just as many with rude and loud adults.  It's not the child- it's the parent.  I had a three hour flight where the child screamed the entire way.  Mom totally ignored him. A two hour flight where, for a while, I thought there was something wrong with the plane- an unusual vibration.  Turns out the guy behind me tapped his foot the whole flight.  Whhhyyyyyy?!!!

The there was the time at RDU where a family of several horrible people encouraged their children to have a screaming contest.  Yes.  In an airport. SMH!

Valued Contributor

I would like a Noise Free Zone or a No Talking Zone.  😀

Valued Contributor

I would like a Noise Free Zone or a No Talking Zone.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@sassenach1 wrote:

I am a Road Warrior and I'm on several planes weekly.  First thing into the airport past TSA, I insert my Bose Noise Cancelling earphones.  They are life changing.  I cannot fly without them.

I've had a few flights with unruly children and just as many with rude and loud adults.  It's not the child- it's the parent.  I had a three hour flight where the child screamed the entire way.  Mom totally ignored him. A two hour flight where, for a while, I thought there was something wrong with the plane- an unusual vibration.  Turns out the guy behind me tapped his foot the whole flight.  Whhhyyyyyy?!!!

The there was the time at RDU where a family of several horrible people encouraged their children to have a screaming contest.  Yes.  In an airport. SMH!

Best purchase I ever made! I won't travel without them. Thankfully, my road warrior days are behind me, but I still fly around 50,000 miles a year. I'm one who really isn't interested in talking to the person sitting next to me and these make a world of difference. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~