Esteemed Contributor

Re: Child Free Zones on Planes: Yay or Nay?

I am for it....now that animals may fly in cabin, I think an area should be set aside for them as well.  I love animals, I love kids but not when I'm flying anything over 3 hours. 

Frequent Contributor

Although it doesn't sound unreasonable in theory, how would it work in practice?  It's not like the train where there is a separate quiet car (no talking or cell phones).  A section for adults could eliminate the seat-kicking issue, but unless part of the plane had a soundproofed barrier (which will not happen), how the screaming issue be eliminated?  Remember smoking sections in the back of the plane?  They did not prevent smoke from wafting to the front.  On balance, I think this is a non-starter.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love kids but I would welcome a kid free zone on airplanes.When I traveled with my child some years back I made sure he behaved! No screaming or kicking the seat in front of him.No bothering anybody,period.

These days when I fly we always seem to encounter unruly children.They throw food,scream & kick the seat in front of them.Their parents don't seem to care as long as they don't bother them.When Folks complain the parents get nasty with flight attendants & passengers. 

A few months ago DH & I were on a plane & there were 2 kids sitting behind us with their mother.The kids were kicking the back of our seats for 4 hours & throwing cheerios at us.We politely asked them to stop.When they didn't we asked their mother to intervene & her response was"they're only kids". The flight attendant saw what they were doing & intervened on our behalf, to no avail.

If an adult was being that disruptive on an airplane he/ she would be removed!!

Respected Contributor

Even if children were restricted to certain sections of the aircraft, they're still on the flight. It doesn't mean that you won't hear them if they're crying. Frankly, I don't find kids as troublesome as some of the obnoxious alleged adults that I've been stuck next to/near on an airplane. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Adults can be just as annoying as kids. I think they could probably put the kids in a separate section on the plane. It still won't stop one from hearing yelling and crying.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kids don't bother me on flights, nor do screaming infants WHEN the parents are desperately trying to soothe the child (you can tell). Parents who are idiots, however, and do nothing which ruins it for everyone (including their children who will never learn how to behave).

I've often wondered why they can't have an AGE minimum on flights...say...no child under the age of 2. Do you really need to take a 6 week old to Disney? Yeah, I know they NEED to fly for whatever reason. Just a thought.

A child free zone won't stop you from hearing the sounds (a screaming infant for 5 hours is not going to go away because you're in a child free zone). I've often thought they should offer child free flights as well as family flights. 

To answer the original question: Yay. But what do you do when the seat kicker is an adult? Sometimes adults are far worse than kids, lol.

Honored Contributor

I don't like to fly, and hardly ever do, but I think it's a great idea.

Esteemed Contributor

You bet I would pay more for childfree zones. Heck I wish they would have childfree flights. We flew from LA to Sydney and the kid behind us screamed the entire flight which woke up other kids who then screamed. Fortunately their parents took care of their kids but the parents of the screamer did absolutely nothing but eat Pringles and watch movies while this kid screamed. No earplugs could stop the noise of this kid because he had one of these shrieking screams. I doubt anyone on that flight slept. Even the flight attendant tried to get them to move to the back of the plane but they refused. So 12 hours of screaming, shrieking kid you bet I would pay more. 

Honored Contributor

Yes!!!!!!   Please, please.  We're suffered through the yelling, screaming, whining, vomiting, blubbering, seat kicking many times.  It's an awful experience.   I'd pay....I'd pay a lot if I could put distance betweenmyself and families with kids.  But I don't see this happening on any US airline.  They won't even give us an inch or two or leg room...they aren't about to do anything to make flying more tolerable.  Plus the mommy brigade would turn it into a public relations nightmare.   

Honored Contributor

I do not fly a lot.  However, I have never been on a plane with a screaming child.  Knock on wood.  The last flight I was on, to Tampa and back, had several babies and none of them made a peep.  2 of them were in rows opposite me and fell sound asleep as soon as the plane took off and never woke up until the plane landed.

However, I do wish they would do something about the drunks loading on planes.  That is ridiculous.  Part of me thinks they shouldn't even allow people who have been drinking on planes and they shouldn't be serving alcohol on planes.  That is what we had a problem with on our return flight from Tampa.  One got in a verbal altercation with another passenger who had enough and I was waiting for an all out brawl to start.