Honored Contributor

Child Free Zones on Planes: Yay or Nay?

From Real Simple-

Another Airline Is Creating Child-Free Zones on Planes

Would you pay more for this?

Respected Contributor

Re: Child Free Zones on Planes: Yay or Nay?

The only time I wished there was a child-free zone was on a flight to Tokyo where I was in a silk suit and speaking the minute I got off the plane. Hence, being dressed for business. I was seated next to a child and the child threw greasy scrambled eggs all over me. (One of those slo-mo Nooooooooooo scenes in movies: I saw the spoon and ah, no, he isn't going to yes, he did. )  I had a screamer all the way from Copenhagen to Toronto. All the way. But I put in good headphone earbuds and listen to books or music and you know, it's not bad. 

I think it makes for complications. Bring earplugs. Easier than another thing to get bollixed up in air travel. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am for it after being in front of a seat kicker for 3 hours...

Respected Contributor

I don't fly much and when I have, I have never been bothered by a child.  However, I can see that people who have to fly all the time for business could use that time to catch up on reading or get some work done and having a quiet place to do that would be a good thing.

Honored Contributor

@Campion wrote:

The only time I wished there was a child-free zone was on a flight to Tokyo where I was in a silk suit and speaking the minute I got off the plane. Hence, being dressed for business. I was seated next to a child and the child threw greasy scrambled eggs all over me. (One of those slo-mo Nooooooooooo scenes in movies: I saw the spoon and ah, no, he isn't going to yes, he did. )  I had a screamer all the way from Copenhagen to Toronto. All the way. But I put in good headphone earbuds and listen to books or music and you know, it's not bad. 

I think it makes for complications. Bring earplugs. Easier than another thing to get bollixed up in air travel. 

But earplugs won't stop flying greasy scrambled eggs.

Valued Contributor

YES absolutely yes there should be a way that adults can separate themselves from crying children.  

Honored Contributor

I  don't see how giving adults (who may be working) the option of purchasing a seat in a child free area is discriminatory.

Honored Contributor

We pay extra to sit in the emergency rows where children are not allowed.  Can't avoid the screaming/crying child though.

Trusted Contributor

i fly frequently enough to say "omg yes please!" there's always one nearby that's throwing a tantrum. 

Respected Contributor

We only fly 2-3 times a year, and those are mainly vacation trips. Children don't normally bother me on those short hops. Now, flying overseas would be different. It would be nice to be guaranteed a quiet place to read or sleep on one of those long flights where everyone is already exhausted. I can see why business people would prefer quiet though even on domestic trips.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli