Honored Contributor

I would tell the neighbor that it makes me worried to see his little one mowing and I can’t stop thinking that the next time I look up I’ll see an ambulance pulling into their driveway.

Honored Contributor

I have never seen a 3 year old who could push a mower.  

Honored Contributor

I feel children and animals can not protect themselves, we have to step in and not be scared to do so.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

When I was about that age we had a push lawn mower and my dad was pulling it behind him to the front yard. I ran up behind him and stuck my thumb into it to see if it was sharp. They rushed me to the ER. I have a half a thumb.

Honored Contributor

My DH was the oldest of 5 children and he mowed the lawn starting with helping his Dad to doing the lawn himself at about 12.  Even doing it once a week, even with a knowledgable learning curve from his Dad, he sliced four of his fingers by being in a  hurry!   He didn't lose his fingers...

IMHO, the Dad with the three year old needs a warning....

Just to lighten the mood about lawns..... we used to have a neighbor couple who moved from Apt living in New York to a Ranch style home in So. Calif. 

He and his wife were SO proud of their home and he was especially proud of  his green, lush lawn.... with no effort at all, his lawn (and weeds) were reaching about a foot or so high and he was getting some "looks" from the neighbors, which he took as envy.... but one day his neighbor came over and asked Harvey if he was ever going to mow his grass and did he need to borrow any tools????  Harvey said "Mow?"....  you're supposed to Mow??   They were seriously wonderful neighbors....Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

This is horrible. That is so dangerous. Our dog isn’t even allowed outside while mowing because she chases the mower.

Honored Contributor

I started mowing the yard when I was about 12.  Mowing and raking grass and bagging it up.  We had a big yard too!  When I got married and wasn't home in the summer my parents bought riding mowers.  TWO of them, one for each.  

Child abuse?  Now you tell me!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I suffered from the same child abuse.  My older sister and I had to cut about 2 acres with one of those old fashioned, push mowers...no engine...you just pushed it.  About 1/2 of an acre was a steep hill.

We also had to cut a hedge that bordered the front of the property with manual hedge clippers that looked like big scissors. It was about 45 feet long. When we cut, both  sides and the top, The bugs would eat us alive.  We also had to rake up the grass clippings and hedge clippings.

When we got married and moved, my father purchased a gas lawn mower and electric hedge clippers for my two brothers to use. He said it was too much work for two people to do manually.  

My sister and and I couldn’t believe it.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Sooner  I suffered from the same child abuse.  My older sister and I had to cut about 2 acres with one of those old fashioned, push mowers...no engine...you just pushed it.  About 1/2 of an acre was a steep hill.

We also had to cut a hedge that bordered the front of the property with manual hedge clippers that looked like big scissors. It was about 45 feet long. When we cut, both  sides and the top, The bugs would eat us alive.  We also had to rake up the grass clippings and hedge clippings.

When we got married and moved, my father purchased a gas lawn mower and electric hedge clippers for my two brothers to use. He said it was too much work for two people to do manually.  

My sister and and I couldn’t believe it.

Oh my I laughed at this!  Yes, I said to my dad "WHY did you get that?"  He looked at me like I was dumb and said "Well we have a big yard.  I not going to mow that!"  

Yeah!  We should have called the DHS on them!  LOL!!!!  Sisters we are!

Honored Contributor

The boy is three years old.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland