Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I would not call c.p s. As long as the child isn't cutting the grass alone.

@missy1

Oh....so it's okay if a 3 year old child is allowed to cut the grass as long as there's an adult to watch in case a possible catastrophy happens?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Regular Contributor

At 3 years of age how is he able to reach the bar? Which makes me think that he is in even greater danger as he is pushing on the lower tiered handle and that puts him even closer to the blade deck. 

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I would not call c.p s. As long as the child isn't cutting the grass alone.

He must be one tall and strong 3 year old. The handle of my mower is about 40 inches which is higher than the height of most 3 yr children. Imagine pushing a mower that has a handle above your head. The kid must be like a little Paul Bunyan! 

I wouldn't call anyone either, at least not as a first measure. The first thing I would do is to engage the father in a friendly conversation and let him know that what he's doing is dangerous to his child. I'd tell him I had just checked online (to be sure I wasn't being a worry wart) and found out kids shouldn't use a power mower until at least age 12-13. In some places there are even laws prohibiting it. It's possible he just doesn't realize how dangerous it can be and a friendly reminder would put it to rest. It's certainly worth a try. 

Honored Contributor

You need to call the police now while it is happening. 

I don't think cps comes out right away. Best to call police so they can see it.

Super Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

You need to call the police now while it is happening. 

I don't think cps comes out right away. Best to call police so they can see it.

I agree call the police.

My uncle cut off half of his foot with his lawn mower.  As he was mowing the lawn it got caught in a bush & he yanked it out & it went right over his foot.

Honored Contributor

Either walk over talk to him,or call police.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I would definitely start with a chat with Dad.  That's just not safe!

Based on personal knowledge from my past, I don't even like seeing the little ones pushing a toy mower while someone else is running a power mower nearby.  Looks cute , but.....

Esteemed Contributor

CPS will just give you an appointment, unless it's urgent, and they refer it to the police.

So just make your video and call the cops. 

Why waste time discussing it here first?

Honored Contributor

Even if the child is in the parent's arms, being carried, being around a mower that can throw things is not a safe thing to be doing. 

We see people here all the time that use riding mowers and have their toddlers on their lap while they mow, and that is just as stupid. Never should a lawn mower blade be engaged while a child is in the area. There is too much potential for something to go wrong.

Honored Contributor

That's unreal. My neighbor takes his son on the riding mower. He's about four and he did it all last summer when he was even younger. Just holds on to him while he is driving it. They also let their kids breathe in the smoke from burning piles of brush. 

Last summer they were using a small wood chipper while their toddler kids were about three feet away from it. You can't always fix stupid, I guess.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"