Honored Contributor

Re: Chick Fil A stopped selling salads

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

It was only for romaine grown in Salinas, Ca.  You'd think Chick fil a could come up with other lettuces or romaine grown in other places.

Apparently Aldis, Target and Wegmans were also impacted by the tainted food supply. I have to wonder if we should all just stop eating Romaine in favor of Iceburg?  I never hear anything about good old fashioned Iceburg lettuce that we grew up on.  

@Reever  As another poster in this thread mentioned, iceberg lettuce has almost no nutritional value whatsoever. One would have to eat about 5+ cups of iceberg lettuce to get anywhere near close to what a single cup of romaine lettuce offers in comparison. Anyone can google the info to find that out. 

And besides the stores you mentioned, the 3 grocery stores I was in today had no Romaine lettuce either...Hyvee, Russ's Market and Super Saver. I was grocery shopping each store for other things/sales and saw the CDC signs.

@Kachina624  So it is certainly not just the Chick Fil A restaurant. It seems many stores/restaurants use the CA source and there may not be many other sources to get romaine lettuce during the off season period.

Honored Contributor

I don't blame businesses at all for not selling salad.  I am not affected because I've quit eating it.  I really don't miss it either.  Plenty of other ways to get plants and greens in my diet.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@simplyfriends wrote:

I read this explanation about romaine and issues with bagged lettuce on www.mashed.com

47054C6F-C22C-4321-AABD-CD8060E6F08B.jpeg

@simplyfriends  Well, ALL of the romaine lettuce was removed in our local stores...not just the ones bagged like the ones with 3 romaine hearts or chopped/mixed greens

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

It was only for romaine grown in Salinas, Ca.  You'd think Chick fil a could come up with other lettuces or romaine grown in other places.

Apparently Aldis, Target and Wegmans were also impacted by the tainted food supply. I have to wonder if we should all just stop eating Romaine in favor of Iceburg?  I never hear anything about good old fashioned Iceburg lettuce that we grew up on.  

@Reever  As another poster in this thread mentioned, iceberg lettuce has almost no nutritional value whatsoever.

Stunning how nutritional myth perpetuates.

No wonder people are so sick believing that God's food 'has no nutritional value.'  🤦‍♀️

Honored Contributor

It seems they could use another type of lettuce.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Reever  As another poster in this thread mentioned, iceberg lettuce has almost no nutritional value whatsoever.

No wonder people are so sick believing that God's food 'has no nutritional value.'  🤦‍♀️

Stunning how some folks choose not to actually see the facts of the VERY LOW nutritional value of iceberg lettuce...or many other of GOD's foods...sugar comes to mind off the top of my head. As the saying goes...'You can lead a horse to water...'

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Stunning how some folks choose not to actually see the facts of nutritional value of iceberg lettuce...or many other of GOD's foods...sugar cane comes to mind off the top of my head. As the saying goes...'You can lead a horse to water...'

Absolutely nothing wrong with sugar cane.

Small amounts of sugar added to the top of food is not a worry for healthy people. I'm sorry you can't enjoy the sweet sensation our taste buds were designed to give us. 

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

It seems they could use another type of lettuce.

@colliemom4  For restaurants it is a bit more involved than just changing the lettuce. It would mean in many cases changing the wording on the menu, signs etc. Many folks come to expect certain salads to have certain lettuce...like most cesaer salads in restaurants has just romaine.

As for Chick Fil A, I don't know what type of salad they serve because I have never been to that restaurant.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Stunning how some folks choose not to actually see the facts of nutritional value of iceberg lettuce...or many other of GOD's foods...sugar cane comes to mind off the top of my head. As the saying goes...'You can lead a horse to water...'

Absolutely nothing wrong with sugar cane.

Small amounts of sugar added to the top of food is not a worry for healthy people. I'm sorry you can't enjoy the sweet sensation our taste buds were designed to give us. 

Save your pity, @sidsmom, for something worth it:/

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I bought lettuce from Costco and it was from Salinas, CA too.  Seems that is the lettuce capital of the USA.