Re: Chick Fil A stopped selling salads

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

It was only for romaine grown in Salinas, Ca.  You'd think Chick fil a could come up with other lettuces or romaine grown in other places.

Apparently Aldis, Target and Wegmans were also impacted by the tainted food supply. I have to wonder if we should all just stop eating Romaine in favor of Iceburg?  I never hear anything about good old fashioned Iceburg lettuce that we grew up on.  

@Reever  As another poster in this thread mentioned, iceberg lettuce has almost no nutritional value whatsoever.

Stunning how nutritional myth perpetuates.

No wonder people are so sick believing that God's food 'has no nutritional value.'  🤦‍♀️

Stunning how some folks choose not to actually see the facts of nutritional value of iceberg lettuce...or many other of GOD's foods...sugar cane comes to mind off the top of my head. As the saying goes...'You can lead a horse to water...'

Absolutely nothing wrong with sugar cane.

Small amounts of sugar added to the top of food is not a worry for healthy people. I'm sorry you can't enjoy the sweet sensation our taste buds were designed to give us. 

@sidsmom  You are intentionally missing the point of 'nutritional value'...duck and weave'...you do that dance well.

Ignorance is bliss comes to mind too...

As for sweetness, neither DH or I are deprived whatsoever just because we don't ingest sugar anymore.

There are many awesome recipes and ways to make delicious sweet treats without it. Life is good.

Esteemed Contributor

I grew my own Romaine & loose leaf lettuce  for the last couple of yrs.  It grows very well  in either  trays   or  in the ground. The recall of various lettuce   over the last few yrs  prompted me to start growing lettuce again  .

Honored Contributor

Iceberg lettuce is low on nutrients compared to romaine.

E6BEA8C1-BCB9-4797-BD18-3852259E73C3.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

Due to a CDC recommendation my local Chick Fil A is not selling salads. Apparently there was another health scare with romaine lettuce and E coli.  This is getting ridiculous. Our food supply seems to be getting worse.  I was am friightened for our future generations. Although many foods had more preservatives in the 1970s I feel it was safer.

@Reever  I don’t know where you get your scientific facts from, but there were far less additives in the 70s & 80s than now. Back then you could read the ingredients in a pack of oreos and they fit in 3 lines. This was true for all food products. 

Honored Contributor

OMG, who cares about the nutritional value or lack thereof in iceberg lettuce.

Sometimes someone may want salad and iceberg maybe all that's available.  It's better than nothing.

Honored Contributor

One reason stores remove ALL romaine is because all you hear on the news is "romaine" and unless you read the whole story, you don't know that it's only certain romaine.

In this age of social media, stores don't need some dumbbutt going on social media saying that Aldis is still selling romaine even though it's been recalled.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I have simple needs. I just wish Chick Fil A would bring back Cole slaw.  Is that too much to ask, LOL. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

OMG, who cares about the nutritional value or lack thereof in iceberg lettuce.

Sometimes someone may want salad and iceberg maybe all that's available.  It's better than nothing.

@CelticCrafter - I agree. I don't even like romaine so the recalls don't affect me at all (but I feel for those who do like romaine) but now we're going to analyze the very BEST lettuce nutritionally for a salad?  It's a salad. Any kind of lettuce is good.  Eat what you enjoy.  It's better than making a salad with a base of tostitos or something. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Well duh.  I was at my local (rather large) grocery store Friday to replenish my romaine supply and was wondering what happened.  Only available was fresh and organic heads  No bagged hearts.  Did see some cut & bagged product, but wasn't interested because it spoils so quickly.

I trust that the vast majority of grocery stores get such products off the shelves as soon as the CDC sends notice.  With the bar coding and purchase tracking my store can send me a notice if I purchase a product that shows up on recall.

I often wonder why the problem is primarily with romaine and not other lettuces and leafy greens.  I am sure "the powers that be" are working on resolutions to stop these repeated issues before the public decides enough is enough.  

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

It was only for romaine grown in Salinas, Ca.  You'd think Chick fil a could come up with other lettuces or romaine grown in other places.

Apparently Aldis, Target and Wegmans were also impacted by the tainted food supply. I have to wonder if we should all just stop eating Romaine in favor of Iceburg?  I never hear anything about good old fashioned Iceburg lettuce that we grew up on.  

I didn't grow up on iceberg lettuce, and I don't eat it. Yuck!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky