Honored Contributor

I just received a CNN news alert: "The National Labor Board in Chicago rules that football players at Northwestern University are school employees and can unionize".

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

if your efforts generate revenue for someone.....then yeah you're an employee.......although in their case it borders on slavery since they receive no monetary compensation...................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

Hmmm ..... this should go over big with the anti-union crowd.

Honored Contributor

Hear that? That was the sound of a can of worms opening.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

GOOD!

Super Contributor

It will be interesting... The University may end up saying that their sports scholarships are income and they will be taxed, and make demands on grades 3.75 gpa or higher to keep those scholarships or they may do away with sport scholarships all together. I agree with the "can of worms" That picture is nasty{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Time will tell.

Honored Contributor

Will look forward to reading the agreements and contract agreements with the union and the university. Wonder if they can be kicked off the team if they under-perform?

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor
On 3/26/2014 hckynut said:

Will look forward to reading the agreements and contract agreements with the union and the university. Wonder if they can be kicked off the team if they under-perform?

Hasn't that been the norm, cutting players who don't do well?

Respected Contributor

Northwestern is a beautiful school. Loved it when we visited there a few years ago.

I wonder why they determined the football players were ""employees"". ?? Did they determine that athletic scholarships were a form of payment for playing football?

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Super Contributor

Hi Lion,

The football team members requested to be unionized, especially light of injuries.