Honored Contributor

Re: Chelsea Clinton Gives Birth To Third Child Son Jasper

[ Edited ]

i worked as a coordinator  in a museum for years.  we did tons of genealogy, research.  i used to scour the old newspapers relentlessly for births, deaths, marriages.  it was very common in this country to give the child the mothers maiden name.  it was a way of leaving their genealogy print.  when a women lost her name in marriage...she gave it to her child.  sometimes all of them, but mainly to first born, or a girl.  the girl looses her mothers last name by her mothers marriage, then looses her fathers last name if she marries.   the  middle  name of the mother last name helps trace linage.  now, if they were very well known, or well known AND moneyed they kept two names...hense the hyphen in some names.  the origin reason was to trace the lineage for inheritance.  starting n the 50's parents favored the new names, and dont  give the child the mothers last name as a middle name, unless they are important.  they often honor a parent or someone tey love with that persons first name.  

chelsea Clinton is the only child,  of two well known parents.  she is also a woman who has taken her husbands name.  To give her child her family name, and that of her father is to honor them and preserve the family name down the road.  i will tell you when you are doing geneolgy it is so hard to trace married women when you have no clue of her maiden name., unless you get hold of a birth cerificate....and you need to know fathers name to start on search.  back in the day, everything but everything was given to the men.  also, most women would go by initials.  like Mrs.  E.B White.   all we know here is she was, or is married. 

In Mexico women never leave their last nameswhen they marry for the sake of their father.  when they marry they usually never change their last name. in this country it often  causes problems with having kids in school.   her children take the fathers last name, she keeps te name she was born with  .  add the confirmation names they choose, and it makes for a long, long legal name! lol,  that said, in this day and age it is not so unusual ere in america to have a family with a few different last names 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  I have completed virtue training and have sworn to defend and protect all children from any and all  forms of abuse. I gave my word I would do this, and I intend to do just that

The dangers to children are  real and true in cyber space ,as well as real life. Words can hurt ,and they can also inspire other people to join in, or to stand pat. I intend to stand pat. It is how I roll, people are free to dislike me ,and call me anything they wish, they will only get to a child over my dead body. It doesn't matter who the parents are, to me

Honored Contributor

Wow, what is wrong with JASPER,as a name? I like it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Sooner  I have completed virtue training and have sworn to defend and protect all children from any and all  forms of abuse. I gave my word I would do this, and I intend to do just that

The dangers to children are  real and true in cyber space ,as well as real life. Words can hurt ,and they can also inspire other people to join in, or to stand pat. I intend to stand pat. It is how I roll, people are free to dislike me ,and call me anything they wish, they will only get to a child over my dead body. It doesn't matter who the parents are, to me

@cherry  I admire you because you can have differing views than another person and still have a relationship and value them.  I think this world is in dire need of people who can agree to disagree about how they see something like postings on a bulletin board.  

Honored Contributor

One of my granddaughters has her moms maden name, as her middle name ,i see nothing wrong with that.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I guess it's good that her maiden name wasn't Levvinsky. 

The children's names would be Levvinsky Mezvinsky.

That's a mouthful.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I guess it's good that her maiden name wasn't Levvinsky. 

The children's names would be Levvinsky Mezvinsky.

That's a mouthful.

Don't give up your day job, @Lucky Charm 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

You can always tell who you would want to be friends with, and who you wouldn't, by how low they stoop, to attack a thread ,blessing a new born child

There is no humor ,or humanity, in a person who  would do this to a child, only hatred and venom lives in them...

God preserve this tiny life from people like this

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@RoughDraft Actually, Jasper was not one of the magi (smile).

According to tradition the three wise men who came to seek the infant Jesus were named Gaspar, Balthasar, and Melchior.

I personally love the name Jasper.

@Love my grandkids   Not quite.  Gaspar is a variant of the Persian Jasper-meaning Master of the Treasure.

Gaspar-Caspar-Jasper are all valid names and have been used interchangeably.

Depending upon which sect of Christianity one is referring-the names of all 3 Magi can differ greatly.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@RoughDraft Actually, Jasper was not one of the magi (smile).

According to tradition the three wise men who came to seek the infant Jesus were named Gaspar, Balthasar, and Melchior.

I personally love the name Jasper.

@Love my grandkids   Not quite.  Gaspar is a variant of the Persian Jasper-meaning Master of the Treasure.

Gaspar-Caspar-Jasper are all valid names and have been used interchangeably.

Depending upon which sect of Christianity one is referring-the names of all 3 Magi can differ greatly.

@Cakers3   Thank you for confirming what I already addressed to @Love my grandkids  in an earlier post.  Apparently, she hasn't acknowledged what most of us already know.  That's life.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~