J A S P E R  ?

I know a few kids named Jasper.

Respected Contributor

Re: Chelsea Clinton Gives Birth To Third Child Son Jasper

@NYC Susan wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

J A S P E R  ?

I know a few kids named Jasper.

Jasper, is #2 of the top 50 boys names for 2019, according to "Parents" online website.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@cherry Thank you, I had never heard that. Appreciate the info!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I hope they come up with a cute nickname for him....he is going to need one....

@lovesrecess  Why does any child need a nickname? None of my grandparents had nicknames; neither of my parents had a nickname; my parents didn't give me a nickname; I didn't give my son a nickname; my son and DIL haven't given my grandson a nickname!

Why name a child if you don't plan to use the name given? I love my given name and have corrected people when they have attempted to use a shortened version. It's not cute past grade school IMO. Certainly not on a business card!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

J A S P E R  ?

@fthuntThat was my first reaction too. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Every new born child is a gift to humanity. They may find a cure for cancer, they could lead the way to a better tomorrow for everyone. Only the truely spiteful tries to wound an innocent life, and ruin the happiness a brand new birth brings to so many of us.

@cherry   Calm down.  People are yakking on a bulletin board.  Nobody is sending e-mail to Chelsea or posting awful things.  Unusual names always bring out comments. And unusual names are a trend now.

A lot of people don't understand it, and some of us with unusual names have suffered for their parents' whims.  Whether it is right or not, it happens when you have a name that sound unusual, is spell differently and you always have to spell it, or is an unusual or old name that people haven't maybe ever heard or known someone named that.

It's a fact of life.  It happens, and I don't think anyone is really trying to be mean about it. But it is a point well taken when people are thinking about a name... what will your child face?  Even cute names for little girls sometimes aren't so sweet when they are 40 and chairing the meeting. 

I'm one of those kids who has never liked their name. 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
I hope they come up with a cute nickname for him....he is going to need one....

@lovesrecess  Why does any child need a nickname? None of my grandparents had nicknames; neither of my parents had a nickname; my parents didn't give me a nickname; I didn't give my son a nickname; my son and DIL haven't given my grandson a nickname!

Why name a child if you don't plan to use the name given? I love my given name and have corrected people when they have attempted to use a shortened version. It's not cute past grade school IMO. Certainly not on a business card!  

I know a lot of people with nicknames!  Some cute, some funny, some VERY serious.  Why not?  I know several guys called Trey because they are the third.  Abigail/Abby?   Johathan/John, and on and on. Charles/Chuck?  John/Jack.   Sis, Bubba, Slim, Sport, Ace, etc.  I think nicknames are great!  I always wanted one! 

Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations to the Mezyinsky's and Clinton's on the birth of the newest member of the families.  I'm sure Jasper's brother and sister are thrilled on having a new brother, best wishes to both families.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Every new born child is a gift to humanity. They may find a cure for cancer, they could lead the way to a better tomorrow for everyone. Only the truely spiteful tries to wound an innocent life, and ruin the happiness a brand new birth brings to so many of us.

@cherry   Calm down.  People are yakking on a bulletin board.  Nobody is sending e-mail to Chelsea or posting awful things.  Unusual names always bring out comments. And unusual names are a trend now.

A lot of people don't understand it, and some of us with unusual names have suffered for their parents' whims.  Whether it is right or not, it happens when you have a name that sound unusual, is spell differently and you always have to spell it, or is an unusual or old name that people haven't maybe ever heard or known someone named that.

It's a fact of life.  It happens, and I don't think anyone is really trying to be mean about it. But it is a point well taken when people are thinking about a name... what will your child face?  Even cute names for little girls sometimes aren't so sweet when they are 40 and chairing the meeting. 

@Sooner ,

Clearly you weren't here to see the posts that were removed. There were some awful things said.  No need to scold Cherry.  She saw them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Lots of people don't like their names.  My name is not at all unusual, and I have never liked it.  So it's not just kids with unusual names or spellings who wish they had been named something else. 

And Jasper is not really an unusual name.  I live in the same area as Chelsea, and believe me, there are other Jaspers.  I also know Jaspers in other parts of the country too.  It's not odd or spelled strangely.  It's a name, just like other names.

(Also, some posters clearly were trying to be mean about it.)