Honored Contributor

Re: Cheddar Man First In Britain, Dark Skin Blue Eyes

wrote:

wrote:

I've been watching television all day and I keep seeing 23 & Me commercials advertising for Valentine's Day (not sure what it gas to do with valentines) but they have a 20% off sale going in case anyone is interested.

Not clear on the connection either, @JaneMarple ... other than it is rather a "sweet deal" for any motivated to begin their ancestry research. ❤️

Thanks for the tip! 

@Rowan72 

Just another day for sales, I guess, or a bid for using their service as a gift.  My daughter did that, bought one kit for me and one for herself.

Around here, they're having Valentine's Day sales for new cars. 

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I've been watching television all day and I keep seeing 23 & Me commercials advertising for Valentine's Day (not sure what it gas to do with valentines) but they have a 20% off sale going in case anyone is interested.

Not clear on the connection either, @JaneMarple ... other than it is rather a "sweet deal" for any motivated to begin their ancestry research. ❤️

Thanks for the tip! 

@Rowan72 

Just another day for sales, I guess, or a bid for using their service as a gift.  My daughter did that, bought one kit for me and one for herself.

LOL! Yep ... any reason is fine for sales promotions, @Noel7. Let's all rush right out and buy our sweethearts a nice, new car for Valentine's Day. I'm sure my hubby would LOVE that - much more than the card and special dinner I have planned for him. 

We'll see it repeat for Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. 

Sweet of your daughter to treat you, though, any ol' day, since she knew this gift would be so appreciated by you. I am tempted to study further back than what has already been carefully preserved of my Cheyenne ancestry. My husband is of the Lakota Sioux, but he could not care less about ancestry research. "Let bones lie with the past," he grumbles. 😏 Humph! 

Last night (between the Olympic competitions) I watched a pre-recorded episode of NOVA: "First Face of America." The remains of a 13,000-year old skeleton of a pre-historic teenager was located in an underwater cave in Mexico. May interest you and others here, if you have not seen it. Or already discussed it in this thread. Forgive me, if so. I'm still catching up. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:
@Noel7 wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Thanks for the tip! 

@Rowan72 

LOL! Yep ... any reason is fine for sales promotions, @Noel7. Let's all rush right out and buy our sweethearts a nice, new car for Valentine's Day. I'm sure my hubby would LOVE that - much more than the card and special dinner I have planned for him. 

We'll see it repeat for Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. 

Sweet of your daughter to treat you, though, any ol' day, since she knew this gift would be so appreciated by you. I am tempted to study further back than what has already been carefully preserved of my Cheyenne ancestry. My husband is of the Lakota Sioux, but he could not care less about ancestry research. "Let bones lie with the past," he grumbles. 😏 Humph! 

Last night (between the Olympic competitions) I watched a pre-recorded episode of NOVA: "First Face of America." The remains of a 13,000-year old skeleton of a pre-historic teenager was located in an underwater cave in Mexico. May interest you and others here, if you have not seen it. Or already discussed it in this thread. Forgive me, if so. I'm still catching up. 

@Rowan72

I'm so happy to see you on this line of conversation!  @SillyMe brought up the discussion of the PBS "First Face of America", there is a short discussion of it a few pages back.  She watched the entire show, I saw most of it but unfortunately fell asleep after the skull was recovered.

I do know about the land bridge from Siberia down into the Americas.  And, just in case you haven't heard, I think it's Ancestry dot com that has found a way to trace ancestry of the the First Americans.  It wasn't so easy before.  You might want to look into that to see if it would benefit you.

Trusted Contributor

Oops, sorry! I should have scanned ahead further in the thread. Glad it was discussed, and I'll enjoy reading others comments on the NOVA episode. Yes, you know the gist of the origins already then revealed, but you missed the facial reconstruction at the end. I bet there's photos on their website. It will no doubt run again on PBS, too. 

Thanks for the ancestry dot com, tip @Noel7 - and the warm welcome, too. My pleasure! 😊