Honored Contributor

Re: Cheddar Man First In Britain, Dark Skin Blue Eyes

wrote:

@Noel7,

Hey my dear anthro friend Woman Happy, did you happen to watch NOVA last night? When they showed the clay rendition of  "Naia"...she looked so much like a SE Asian, maybe from Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand. I really enjoyed that show!

Hi @SilleeMee Smiley Happy

I did!  But I was so tired, I fell asleep after some time, and I'm kicking myself for not taping it!

I did see quite a bit, the cave exploration and retrieving the skull.  They showed the reconstruction of her face at one point so I did see it.  I agree with you, it looked Asian.

What did I miss?  Wow, that cave and it's width and depth were really something.  There must be more to find there, including the now extinct animals they did find.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7,

The show is worth watching if you can somehow get it On Demand or look for it on-line. There was some very interesting genetic findings about the origin of Native Americans as far as where exactly they came from and that Native Americans have a unique genetic sequence unlike any other from around the world. 'Naia' was the first face of the Native American and all others followed from that time when she lived. The cave where they found her has many other skeletons from now extinct animals and researchers have their hands full with that part. These creatures and Naia fell to there deaths where  their remains have been left undisturbed for thousands of years. It's so amazing! Naia'sWoman Happy skeletal remains were partially fossilized which made the bones stronger. They discovered things about the way she lived just from examining her bones. You really need to see the show!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Noel7,

The show is worth watching if you can somehow get it On Demand or look for it on-line. There was some very interesting genetic findings about the origin of Native Americans as far as where exactly they came from and that Native Americans have a unique genetic sequence unlike any other from around the world. 'Naia' was the first face of the Native American and all others followed from that time when she lived. The cave where they found her has many other skeletons from now extinct animals and researchers have their hands full with that part. These creatures and Naia fell to there deaths where  their remains have been left undisturbed for thousands of years. It's so amazing! Naia'sWoman Happy skeletal remains were partially fossilized which made the bones stronger. They discovered things about the way she lived just from examining her bones. You really need to see the show!

Thanks for the update @SilleeMee  I will see it, I'll check to see if I can get it on the local PBS site online.

Re: bones, they are getting a lot of information now from tooth enamel.  I hope they were able to get a tooth or teeth.

Did they mention that she might have come over the land bridge or was it something else?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

@Noel7,

Thanks for the update @SilleeMee  I will see it, I'll check to see if I can get it on the local PBS site online.

Re: bones, they are getting a lot of information now from tooth enamel.  I hope they were able to get a tooth or teeth.

Did they mention that she might have come over the land bridge or was it something else?

Yes, they got her dna sequence from a tooth because the bones did not have the collagen needed to extract dna. The 'bridge' you mentioned was more than a bridge. It was more like a large land mass,  the continuation of Siberia into Alaska called Beringia, now believed to be the origin of Native Americans. There was a group of individuals who traveled down to the Americas, giving rise to every Native American and their dna sequence is not found west of the Bering land bridge. @Noel7

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@Noel7,

Yes, they got her dna sequence from a tooth because the bones did not have the collagen needed to extract dna. The 'bridge' you mentioned was more than a bridge. It was more like a large land mass,  the continuation of Siberia into Alaska called Beringia, now believed to be the origin of Native Americans. There was a group of individuals who traveled down to the Americas, giving rise to every Native American and their dna sequence is not found west of the Bering land bridge. @Noel7

@SilleeMee

Oh, good, thanks!  I know it's been thought for some time that they came from what is now known as Siberia.  Fascinating!

Frequent Contributor

My DNA test from Ancestry was 100% European. 70% was Great Britian,Ireland, Wales and Scotland. The rest was Scandinavian and Western Europe. My kids want theirs done to see what shows up for them.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

My DNA test from Ancestry was 100% European. 70% was Great Britian,Ireland, Wales and Scotland. The rest was Scandinavian and Western Europe. My kids want theirs done to see what shows up for them.

@char1976

Most of their report will just come from you.  If you can have your husband tested, and maybe your brother or father, they will get a more complete report.  You will, also, if you have a male relative.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Yes ,i have one son alive, but that would show my husbands side, i do have a brother.

@goldensrbest Your son will show both sides as did my son.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

The DNA from a brother will give a woman the additional DNA information from her father.  Otherwise she will just get the mtDNA, her mother's line.

If her dad is around, she can ask him to be tested in order to get perhaps a more comprehensive report.  We did that for our daughter, whereas I am stuck with just my mother's side (no Y gene to test).

Respected Contributor

wrote:

CHEDDAR MAN

Image result for cheddar man

Looks like a guy I used to date!!