Respected Contributor

Re: Cheddar Man First In Britain, Dark Skin Blue Eyes

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I think that is fascinating.   He must be the great++++++ grandfather of any number of us.

But forgive me, I can't help thinking of his head on display at a cheese contest in Wisconsin or other spots that have cheese contests.  Or, of course, in Cheddar, England itself!

ITA @GingerPeach !  And that would also mean a lot of us are related!

Yes, I get a kick out of the cheese connection, too, LOL.

@Noel7. I've recently read that all blue-eyed people have a common ancestor and are related.

I've read that, too @Kachina624  It must go back a long way. 

@Noel7

@Kachina624

I have blue eyes.  Interesting.  But I was the only one who got them.  My mom has brown and my dad blue.

My brother has hazel and my sister has brown.

This is really cool.  Actually, it kind of reminds me of the movie Artificial Intelligence, which I just re watched over the weekend.  At the end, the advanced androids can recreate humans from just their DNA..a fragment of bone, etc.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read that, too, about blue-eyes. Supposedly it was a mutation that started somewhere in the regions north of the Black Sea but they have not actually proved it. It's just an educated guess. Originally all humans had brown eyes until the mutation, which was found to be a limiting type of switch in the gene sequence so as to not go all the way and give us albino eyes.

Esteemed Contributor

I read that Polish and Russian DNA is all but identical.  Borders changing constantly,today your Polish,tomorrow you're Russian. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I think that is fascinating.   He must be the great++++++ grandfather of any number of us.

But forgive me, I can't help thinking of his head on display at a cheese contest in Wisconsin or other spots that have cheese contests.  Or, of course, in Cheddar, England itself!

ITA @GingerPeach !  And that would also mean a lot of us are related!

Yes, I get a kick out of the cheese connection, too, LOL.

@Noel7. I've recently read that all blue-eyed people have a common ancestor and are related.

I've read that, too @Kachina624  It must go back a long way. 

@Noel7

@Kachina624

I have blue eyes.  Interesting.  But I was the only one who got them.  My mom has brown and my dad blue.

My brother has hazel and my sister has brown.

This is really cool.  Actually, it kind of reminds me of the movie Artificial Intelligence, which I just re watched over the weekend.  At the end, the advanced androids can recreate humans from just their DNA..a fragment of bone, etc.

@Marienkaefer2

It seems having blue eyes is more complex than they knew years ago.

Thanks for mentioning the movie, I haven't seen it and now I want to Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

wrote:

I read that Polish and Russian DNA is all but identical.  Borders changing constantly,today your Polish,tomorrow you're Russian. 

That is interesting @MoJoV !

There's also been a lot going on recently with borders and the Iberian peninsula regarding the Irish, Scots and the Welsh.  And there's now a claim that the Welsh and Cornish were not pretty much the same people long ago as once thought.  Erase, rewrite, new info coming in.

Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple That is sooo great.  To have all those different people for your ancestors and it all boils down to little YOU!  Which service did you use? Impressive.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

This is endlessly fascinating. I haven't received my Ancestry DNA profile yet. Obviously after the holidays is not the best time to send it in.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Genetics and Jewish have nothing to do with one another.  That's like saying all Chinese are Buddhist.

No, not true @SilleeMee  There is a traceable Cohen line because they were of the same lineage.

And the Ashkenazi formed a group over time with shared genes.  That information is also online.

Yes, I understand the part about the Ashkenazi. But  it's not totally clear cut if they are unique in the the general European population. It also doesn't mean that the all were Jews either. Jewish is not a genotype. @Noel7

Ah, but Jewish people do have a phenotype...unless they converted like my brother did. I have an old boyfriend who is a redheaded, freckled Catholic Irishman, but his DNA came back showing 25% Ashkenazi genes. He has not yet found the connection in his family tree. He had his DNA analyzed by two different sites. Both showed the Ashkenazi genes. There are many questions to be answered yet when it comes to DNA. It is just fascinating. 

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Genetics and Jewish have nothing to do with one another.  That's like saying all Chinese are Buddhist.

No, not true @SilleeMee  There is a traceable Cohen line because they were of the same lineage.

And the Ashkenazi formed a group over time with shared genes.  That information is also online.

Yes, I understand the part about the Ashkenazi. But  it's not totally clear cut if they are unique in the the general European population. It also doesn't mean that the all were Jews either. Jewish is not a genotype. @Noel7

Ah, but Jewish people do have a phenotype...unless they converted like my brother did. I have an old boyfriend who is a redheaded, freckled Catholic Irishman, but his DNA came back showing 25% Ashkenazi genes. He has not yet found the connection in his family tree. He had his DNA analyzed by two different sites. Both showed the Ashkenazi genes. There are many questions to be answered yet when it comes to DNA. It is just fascinating. 

Thanks for sharing that @Yardlie .  I don't understand the contradiction but maybe someone can figure it out.  The major ancestry tracers are calling Ashkenazi genetic and they were right on with my two family members.

For years I thought I might be part Ashkenazi because of a last name on my mother's side, but no.  I'd worried about Tay Sachs testing.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@JaneMarple That is sooo great.  To have all those different people for your ancestors and it all boils down to little YOU!  Which service did you use? Impressive.

@MoJoV I used Ancestry and still trying to find that missing 1% Woman Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson