Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Cheddar Man First In Britain, Dark Skin Blue Eyes

[ Edited ]

wrote:

Tonight on NOVA...a 13,000 yo skeleton, belonged to a teenager, found in Mexico. I brought this up since we are discussing old finds. @Noel7 thought this might interest you. Woman Happy

Thank you @SilleeMee . I appreciate that.  Is she the one they think was sacrificial?

Anthro is my first love, I majored in it for quite some time.  Then I was told it was not a profession for women, I probably wouldn't get a job.  Margaret Mead was about the only one at that time.  And Leakey's wife.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Noel7

My daughter gave me a 23&Me kit but I could not handle the spitting.  Sometimes I wonder how I can sit in the dentist's chair!

I understand, it's not easy and it's kind of time consuming.

@GingerPeach

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I think he looks like 2 distinct races ,in one person. His eyes and features look Caucasian to me ,while his skin and hair look like they belong to a person of color...It makes for a startling  concept about our ancestors

Hi @cherry

It's really eye opening.  Of course, the first mothers for all of us were African.  They can trace them, too.  I received a map of Africa showing what modern African nations mine traveled out of, everyone does when you get your ancestry report. 

We all carry mtDNA, genes going back that far on the matrilineal line.

The article I read on msn.com had this to say:

"Cheddar Man shares a genetic profile with several other Mesolithic-era individuals found in Spain, Hungary and Luxembourg whose DNA has already been analyzed. The group, known as Western Hunter-Gatherers, migrated to Europe from the Middle East after the last Ice Age, about 12,000 years ago." 

And "Dutch "paleo artists" Alfons and Adrie Kennis created a likeness of Cheddar Man based on the British scientists' findings, showing a man with long curly hair, a short beard and striking blue eyes. The research will be explored in a television documentary on Britain's Channel 4 on Feb. 18". 

I was wondering if he might be more like a man from modern day India?  The rendition does not show him with a beard.

I remember seeing a program on forensics once where the artist said that the size of the teeth determine the size of the lips.  I am not sure that the nose, being soft tissue, can accurately be reconstructed - except that we know that the construct of Caucasian noses have to do with actually warming cold air as it is breathed in. So longer noses evolved for cold weather conditions. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@Noel7

My daughter gave me a 23&Me kit but I could not handle the spitting.  Sometimes I wonder how I can sit in the dentist's chair!

@GingerPeach

It just made me gag.  I could not even look at it.  Anyway, enough on that subject, @Noel7 !

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Noel7, No ,just jewish.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

Noel, you are saying all of human race came from Africa? I have often  wondered about     Ethiopia, and Jewish .

@goldensrbest

Are you referring to the group of Africans in Ethiopia that were practicing Jews?

Yes, they found they carry the Cohen gene, the lineage of Jewish Priests.  Some of them moved to the Holy Land to live there.

This also correlates to the story of King Solomon and the Queen of Ethiopia in the Old Testament.  Interesting to say the least. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Does anyone else also watch the PBS Roots TV show?  Led by the distinguished scholar, Dr. Henry Louis Gates?

He interviews usually three people each show and has his staff trace their lineage.  Fascinating things come up. Ana Navarro the political pundit from South America found out her great great grandmother was a slave from Africa.

Dr. Gates also traces the lineage of a lot of Jewish people.  Their reports are quoted as genetically Ashkenazi Jewish.

I highly recommend the program.

Yes, but re runs latley. 

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I think he looks like 2 distinct races ,in one person. His eyes and features look Caucasian to me ,while his skin and hair look like they belong to a person of color...It makes for a startling  concept about our ancestors

Hi @cherry

It's really eye opening.  Of course, the first mothers for all of us were African.  They can trace them, too.  I received a map of Africa showing what modern African nations mine traveled out of, everyone does when you get your ancestry report. 

We all carry mtDNA, genes going back that far on the matrilineal line.

The article I read on msn.com had this to say:

"Cheddar Man shares a genetic profile with several other Mesolithic-era individuals found in Spain, Hungary and Luxembourg whose DNA has already been analyzed. The group, known as Western Hunter-Gatherers, migrated to Europe from the Middle East after the last Ice Age, about 12,000 years ago." 

And "Dutch "paleo artists" Alfons and Adrie Kennis created a likeness of Cheddar Man based on the British scientists' findings, showing a man with long curly hair, a short beard and striking blue eyes. The research will be explored in a television documentary on Britain's Channel 4 on Feb. 18". 

I was wondering if he might be more like a man from modern day India?  The rendition does not show him with a beard.

I remember seeing a program on forensics once where the artist said that the size of the teeth determine the size of the lips.  I am not sure that the nose, being soft tissue, can accurately be reconstructed - except that we know that the construct of Caucasian noses have to do with actually warming cold air as it is breathed in. So longer noses evolved for cold weather conditions. 

Thank you so much @GrailSeeker !

I'd just seen the information from the BBC, yours is so much more intricate, I appreciate your sharing it.

Is Channel 4 the Welsh Channel, do you know?

I don't know if they would have known about a beard, even if he had one, it would have been long gone.  They can tell a lot about hair though from the genomes.

Your information about the nose is interesting!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@Noel7

@GingerPeach

It just made me gag.  I could not even look at it.  Anyway, enough on that subject, @Noel7 !

@GingerPeach  It made my daughter gag, also, you're not alone Smiley Happy  DH kept trying and trying, and she finally left the room.

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Does anyone else also watch the PBS Roots TV show?  Led by the distinguished scholar, Dr. Henry Louis Gates?

He interviews usually three people each show and has his staff trace their lineage.  Fascinating things come up. Ana Navarro the political pundit from South America found out her great great grandmother was a slave from Africa.

Dr. Gates also traces the lineage of a lot of Jewish people.  Their reports are quoted as genetically Ashkenazi Jewish.

I highly recommend the program.

Yes, but re runs latley. 

I love that show.  Never miss it, even in reruns.