Honored Contributor

Re: Cheddar Man First In Britain, Dark Skin Blue Eyes

Are all the ancestry DNA tests done from spitting, or does anyone know of any that can be just a cheek swab?

Never mind, I found this site that describes three of them that can use just the cheek swab.  https://www.smarterhobby.com/genealogy/best-dna-test/

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I've seen the PBS show on ancestry, but am not a regular watcher.  There used to be a network show called something like "Who Do You Think You Are?" that was interesting.  I could not say whether it was less scientific.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  I think @Noel7  is correct, because when I get my mamogram they always ask questions about  the European branch of Judasim, they never ask about Sephardic ,or Oriental Jews.  It seems they carry a genetic marker for breast cancer

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I also wonder what they would have worn.  I expect anything of that sort would not have lasted, unless encased in ice perhaps.  

@GingerPeach

The body of Otzi was found in the Alps encased in ice, his clothes and foot coverings were still there, as were the contents of his stomach.

There's fascinating information available, I know Wiki has a pretty full report, other sites also.  Otzi climbed the Alps and ate plants, grains and some meat.  And... he had heart trouble, proving heart trouble is NOT a modern day heath problem.

Honored Contributor

I am always fascinated how scientists can take bones and using the technology we have today, create the face of the person no matter how long ago they died. The eye color? WOW that the science is there to determine it. 

Amazing, simply amazing.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Yes, @Noel7 I agree with saying Ashkenazi is a genotype. I did not say it wasn't. I said Jewish is not a genotype. It's a religion as we all know. I won't say anything more about that part because this thread might be in jeopardy. Woman Happy

@SilleeMee

I have the feeling we are not that far apart, just in language.  Another thing to show genetic similarity would be some of the health problems that groups shared that are genetic, such as Tay-Sachs.

But we can table the conversation Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Tonight on NOVA...a 13,000 yo skeleton, belonged to a teenager, found in Mexico. I brought this up since we are discussing old finds. @Noel7 thought this might interest you. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Are all the ancestry DNA tests done from spitting, or does anyone know of any that can be just a cheek swab?

Never mind, I found this site that describes three of them that can use just the cheek swab.  https://www.smarterhobby.com/genealogy/best-dna-test/

@GingerPeach

The spitting is difficult imo.  It took poor DH a long time, the poor guy, lol.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I've seen the PBS show on ancestry, but am not a regular watcher.  There used to be a network show called something like "Who Do You Think You Are?" that was interesting.  I could not say whether it was less scientific.

I loved that program, also @GingerPeach

The new information is coming so fast, it's hard for the shows to keep up, I think.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

My daughter gave me a 23&Me kit but I could not handle the spitting.  Sometimes I wonder how I can sit in the dentist's chair!