Esteemed Contributor

Check your Bank accounts if you shopped at Mejer's this weekend.

Apparently Mejeirs is having "payment processing issues" and it has affected several people. They keep charging random amounts until your account is depleated.

It is being blamed on the storms over the weekend damaging data centers....

Some have reported other businesses having the same payment processing issues...but I couldn't confirm it...

Honored Contributor

Re: Check your Bank accounts if you shopped at Mejer's this weekend.

Is that the correct spelling?  It is similar to another major supermarket chain and I'm hoping it's not that one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

Is that the correct spelling?  It is similar to another major supermarket chain and I'm hoping it's not that one.

@depglass - I just googled. It is Meijer and it says that if you shopped over the weekend, some customers were charged twice for both debit and credit card customers.  Of the 4 reports I looked at, it didn't say anything about customers being charged until their accounts were depleted, but maybe @Nataliesgramma saw that on another source.

They were having trouble with their card reader system.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Contributor

this happened to me shophq a few weeks back they double charged said they had switched over to a different billing system and all customers who ordered on that thursday got billed two times as per the customer service rep..he also said the second set of charges would drop off eventually so it does set youre balance off it never dropped off till i called again and they fixed it this time 

Esteemed Contributor

I read about it on MSN dot com......Happened in Grove City PA......

I didn't think I could post the link here.....but it seems a reliable source.

Honored Contributor

Thank goodness I did not shop there this weekend.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. I did use a cc there on Sunday, so I will double check. 

For what it's worth, my son was in the Mansfield Ohio area on Saturday, went to run a card at the gas station (debit I think) and the card reader wouldn't process. He moved on to another station, put in his card and it was declined. Upon researching it, the original reader emptied his account, and he has fought all weekend to get something done with it. 

Whatever system the stations around this area are using (Veri something I thought he said), it was happening in more places than just that one station. He posted on FB and lots of people ran to check their accounts and found the same thing had happened to them at other locations. Not sure if the money was pulled or a hold put on the accounts, but the bottom line was he had to find gas money somewhere else.

We moved to just swiping a card every chance we could during the worst of the pandemic, but I have to say, I've been moving back to cash more and more, wherever possible. I get tired of fighting and watching the 'system' all the time for glitches and mistakes. 

Esteemed Contributor

In my area in Georgia yesterday (Sunday) all systems were down. Lowes, Home Depot and others couldn't accept Cards, only Cash.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I did use a cc there on Sunday, so I will double check. 

For what it's worth, my son was in the Mansfield Ohio area on Saturday, went to run a card at the gas station (debit I think) and the card reader wouldn't process. He moved on to another station, put in his card and it was declined. Upon researching it, the original reader emptied his account, and he has fought all weekend to get something done with it. 

Whatever system the stations around this area are using (Veri something I thought he said), it was happening in more places than just that one station. He posted on FB and lots of people ran to check their accounts and found the same thing had happened to them at other locations. Not sure if the money was pulled or a hold put on the accounts, but the bottom line was he had to find gas money somewhere else.

We moved to just swiping a card every chance we could during the worst of the pandemic, but I have to say, I've been moving back to cash more and more, wherever possible. I get tired of fighting and watching the 'system' all the time for glitches and mistakes. 

@Mominohio - I don't mean this to sound snippy or all knowing....at all.....but I never, ever, ever use a debit card for gas.  Too easy to put skimmers at the pump.  I'm sorry this happened to your son and he had to deal with it,

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

This sounds like a skimmer reader scam someone put on the credit card reader- he should only pay with a credit card at the pump never a debit card.  I go inside and pay now usually with cash only, it happens all over the place.