Frequent Contributor

Can't find the answer online and my bank is closed ----- who gets charged a fee-- the writer or the casher? Or both?

Occasional Contributor

Both usually.

Respected Contributor

I don't see how the person cashing the check can be charged, they didn't know it was a bad check. Certainly the person writing the check. And depending on who it's written to the store may have an amount they charge plus the bank fee.

I had someone write me a bad check many years ago and I was notified the check didn't clear, I wasn't charged anything because of it.

Occasional Contributor

I think times have changed. I was charged for cashing a bad check as was the one who wrote it.

Frequent Contributor

There is a small processing fee for a returned check at the bank where I work.

If you account is in good standing, and you dont deposit many bad checks, the fee can be waved.

Super Contributor

Unless times have changed, both get charged. It's between $35 to $50 here for the writer, and if you deposit the check, you can get a "charge-back fee" (around $10). This happened to me w/ my Payroll check from my Boss, 10 years ago. {#emotions_dlg.confused1} Turns out HIS WIFE wrote a check on the payroll account (which she was a cosigner on) to pay HER employees! Well, I told the Office MGR. about it, and that was THE LAST TIME the wife signed any of his Business checks!

Super Contributor
Both, and the worst part is that often the company that you wrote the check to will also charge you a fee. So you get dinged twice. Do you have overdraft protection on your checking account? It's usually tied to your credit card. Instead of a check bouncing, funds will be advanced from your credit card to pay the check. Then you are charged an overdraft fee from the bank, and also your credit card will charge cash advance fees. But...it will keep you,in good standing with whomever you wrote the check to, plus they won't charge any type of check bounce fee because technically, to them, the check didn't bounce.
Esteemed Contributor

I never bounced a check or received a bounced check but I think its SO wrong to charge the receiver of the check! How the heck are they supposed to know the person wrote a bad check until its cashed? But it doesn't surprise me. Banks are at the top of money hungry greed.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor
On 5/28/2014 Shorty2U said:

I never bounced a check or received a bounced check but I think its SO wrong to charge the receiver of the check! How the heck are they supposed to know the person wrote a bad check until its cashed? But it doesn't surprise me. Banks are at the top of money hungry greed.

Some truth there, but people DO know sometimes that a check was bad, but they deposit it anyhow hoping they happen to hit the one day the check writer actually put money into his account. I've worked with some and for someone who did just that. They take their chances knowing they could be charged.

Super Contributor

Both. If you deposit a check that bounces your bank will charge you. Then the check is returned to the issuing bank which will charge whoever wrote it.