Respected Contributor

Re: Cheapest Place to Buy Contact Lenses?

@KellyinColorado wrote:

You can't really get discounted contacts anymore.  All of the manufacturers have instituted minimum pricing policies.  See paragraph below pasted from Money magazine.  

The manufacturers are taking advantage of a 2007 U.S. Supreme Court decision that established that it was legal for price floors to be set in certain situations.  It’s impossible to prove that Johnson & Johnson, Alcon, Bausch & Lomb, and other big sellers are conspiring to set prices, yet all have instituted unilateral pricing, which means that retailers aren’t allowed to sell their products below a certain price. The net result is that stores and online sellers can’t discount the vast majority of name-brand contact lenses on the market, so there’s no point in consumers shopping around.

http://time.com/money/3866955/contact-lens-price-fixing/

@KellyinColorado...Interesting. I did find that most places were selling my contacts for about $47 for a box of six. Walmart wanted $70 for a box of six! I don't know if they would price match because the optical departments are independent. I ended up paying $47 a box. Thanks for posting this!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

1-800  contacts will meet any companies price if you ask.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honestly, my doctor's office.  Regardless of using any coupon codes, etc., I have found my doctor's office is as cheap as any other sites.  I think it may be because he is the largest distributor of contacts in our area.

I can call and tell them I need more and they order them for me.  If I've waited a little too long, I can pop in and he'll give me a pair from the samples he has in his office, to tide me over until my order comes in.  I never have to buy a lense case because he has cases of them and is more than happy to give me some.  He is also very generous with contact lense solution.  

I'd rather give him my money, as a small locally owned business, than a big box store or website.

Valued Contributor

Speaking as the wife of an independent Optometrist, thank you LipstickDiva.  I would only like to add--REMEMBER that contact lenses are MEDICAL DEVICES.  Please follow all of your doctor's instructions to the letter.  You would not BELIEVE the horror stories I have heard from my husband about people who disregarded proper use of their lenses!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KellyinColorado wrote:

You can't really get discounted contacts anymore.  All of the manufacturers have instituted minimum pricing policies.  See paragraph below pasted from Money magazine.  

The manufacturers are taking advantage of a 2007 U.S. Supreme Court decision that established that it was legal for price floors to be set in certain situations.  It’s impossible to prove that Johnson & Johnson, Alcon, Bausch & Lomb, and other big sellers are conspiring to set prices, yet all have instituted unilateral pricing, which means that retailers aren’t allowed to sell their products below a certain price. The net result is that stores and online sellers can’t discount the vast majority of name-brand contact lenses on the market, so there’s no point in consumers shopping around.

http://time.com/money/3866955/contact-lens-price-fixing/

here is part of an email I received from 1 800 contacts last month:

We're happy to announce that effective immediately - after fighting two years for our
customer's rights - the Unilateral Pricing Policy (UPP) is no more.

What was UPP?
UPP was a policy implemented in 2014 by contact lens manufacturers that
regulated the lowest price retailers could sell their products for. This policy took
away 1-800 Contacts' ability to discount, price match, and provide rebates on many
popular brands.

What does this mean for you
The elimination of UPP is great news for you because we're bringing back our
Unbeatable Price Guarantee. Once again we can offer the lower price possible on
all of the quality brands we carry. We'll beat any price by 2%, which means more money
in your pocket!

Special offer
As a thanks for sticking with us, when you order you'll get an instant 10% off
your order of $150 or more on any brand - offer ends 6/15/16.

Best,

Respected Contributor

@FlyersGirl, thank you so much for posting that information! Smiley Happy I will check into it.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli