Respected Contributor

Cheapest Place to Buy Contact Lenses?

Just wondering where you purchase your contacts from? I read once in a magazine that prices can vary greatly. I have been purchasing mine from Contact Lens King online. I just got a new prescription and am wondering if there are less expensive sites.

Thanks!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Regular Contributor

Re: Cheapest Place to Buy Contact Lenses?

If your a Costco member- they are the cheapest I've found!!

Respected Contributor

@elrager wrote:

If your a Costco member- they are the cheapest I've found!!

Thanks, elrager. We don't have a Costco here. I think I've heard that you can buy prescriptions at the "club" stores even if you are not a member though.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yardlie,

Where else??...WALMART!Woman LOL

If you type in "contact lenses" in their search box it takes you to a page all about contacts and free shipping for all.Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Yardlie,

Where else??...WALMART!Woman LOL

If you type in "contact lenses" in their search box it takes you to a page all about contacts and free shipping for all.Woman Very Happy

@SilleeMee, unfortunately Walmart is extremely high on their contacts. Maybe it's because their optical shops are independently owned. Crazy, huh!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Yardlie,

I had no idea they cost more. Will they do a price-match? They do with other things.Woman Happy

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

For the last 3 years I purchased from ReplaceMyContacts.  I think they have good prices, at least for the lenses I wear.  I  usually get free shipping and they're also very easy to do business with.

When I was researching some time ago, I believe Contact Lens King was one of the places that kept popping up as having good prices too.

Wal-Mart and Sam's were more costly.

“There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.” Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Before I had Lasik, my ophthalmologist would price match. At that time 1-800-CONTACT had the best price for my lenses.

Contributor

You can't really get discounted contacts anymore.  All of the manufacturers have instituted minimum pricing policies.  See paragraph below pasted from Money magazine.  

The manufacturers are taking advantage of a 2007 U.S. Supreme Court decision that established that it was legal for price floors to be set in certain situations.  It’s impossible to prove that Johnson & Johnson, Alcon, Bausch & Lomb, and other big sellers are conspiring to set prices, yet all have instituted unilateral pricing, which means that retailers aren’t allowed to sell their products below a certain price. The net result is that stores and online sellers can’t discount the vast majority of name-brand contact lenses on the market, so there’s no point in consumers shopping around.

http://time.com/money/3866955/contact-lens-price-fixing/

Respected Contributor

I used to use 1-800 contacts, but found that AC Lens (online) was a lot less expensive.  They do follow-up to make sure your optometrists phone # (and prescription I suppose) is valid, whereas 1-800 was hit or miss with this.