Honored Contributor

Re: Charlie rose?

[ Edited ]

Gosh, I remember him when he was young and sooo handsome.  Time does take its toll... He is, of course, still hanging in there for an older gent.

He was always one of the more thoughtful and intelligent interviewers, but I always admired his handsomeness.

Some people surprise you with their harassment.  One man who "hit" on me was totally unexpected.  Some you anticipate, some you do not.  Somehow, I never thought of Charlie Rose as a masher type.  Maybe as he aged he found it hard not to be magnetically attractive any longer.  This is not an excuse but might be one of the reasons he was so disgustingly lewd, forcing himself upon another.  Desperation.

Honored Contributor
Rose, Predator! No amount of reasons will redeem him.
Trusted Contributor

I wonder if it's the generation in which these men grew up.  I don't think they thought they were doing anything wrong!  But, it doesn't condone the behavior.  

I don't work outside of my home anymore.  But, I can definitely remember being on the receiving end of a lot of sexual innuendo, even when I was working a part time job in high school.  I didn't like it.  But, there was nothing we could do about it at the time.

Now that I'm older, and realize that some of those jobs had such little importance in the course of my adult life, I'm sorry I didn't have the nerve to tell a few of those jerks off.  I didn't get that kind of nerve until I turned 50!

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

They're dropping like flies.  All the hypocrites that preach morality to the rest of us, directly or indirectly.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I would not say we have allowed it.  I would say the only people responsible are those who assaulted others.

The only other people I would blame are the women who never believe other women and insult them, call them names and blame them.

No, if people allow these things to go on at work they are ALL to blame.  Yes, it takes courage, but an office full of people are a powerful force if they decide something is to not be allowed!  If you let people to get away with stuff, they will just keep doing it. It is a form of aiding and abbetting.   That's why we have laws and standards.  It's about enforcing them.  Apparently nobody stepped up in this situation.

@Sooner 

I agree - it is like aiding and abetting.  (Sort of like a variant of comparative negligence for accidents - not sure what this would be called)

There is a certain amount of blame (particularly for actions that are continuing) when one knows of these actions and does nothing, just different levels. Standing by and doing nothing is not always the “right” thing to do.  (Think of mandated reporters for domestic violence, child or elder abuse.)  

The harasser/abuser/assaulter/rapist is entirely responsible for any and all of their actions.  

Others who know and do know nothing are also responsible for their inactions.  Those who gossip about the actions or what they suspect are responsible for their actions.  

Even the victim is responsible for making the choice to tell or not tell. Not for the actions but, for the choices she or he

(We have to remember there are males being harrassed by both males and females and females harassing other females) 

make afterwards.  

This, in no way, lessens the harasser/assaulter being fully responsible for everything they do. 

Trusted Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

I wonder if it's the generation in which these men grew up.  I don't think they thought they were doing anything wrong!  But, it doesn't condone the behavior.  

I don't work outside of my home anymore.  But, I can definitely remember being on the receiving end of a lot of sexual innuendo, even when I was working a part time job in high school.  I didn't like it.  But, there was nothing we could do about it at the time.

Now that I'm older, and realize that some of those jobs had such little importance in the course of my adult life, I'm sorry I didn't have the nerve to tell a few of those jerks off.  I didn't get that kind of nerve until I turned 50!

Things were definitely different then - but, still lots going on and much still goes unreported.  Even with all the laws and all the special sexual harassment training that takes place.  Perhaps in some ways worse in today’s very sexualized society. 

I was an executive secretary in the late 70’s & early 80’s

(I was in my late 20’s) - my boss, (the President of a division of a larger company) patted me on the butt one day as we returned from lunch (it was a performance review lunch where I was given a raise!) 

I patted his right back - I never saw him look so stunned. He sort of sputtered “what”, I gave him a look (sort of a cross between a no-nonsense and what my late mother called the evil eye), and he never did it again!  

I doubt that would have worked with everyone but, it worked for me!   

Honored Contributor

It appears that one person who spoke up about Charlie Rose was fired. When someone works hard to land a job in journalism, they certainly want to keep it.  That's the bottom line for why this went on so long.

Regular Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

My DH has a family member who works in media.

This person had to send out about 300 resumes to end up getting a crummy job at one of the networks. Has a Master's degree.

Media jobs and good ones are very scarce. I wouldn't be asking why the women he did this to stayed at the job.

I would ask why did they have to be subjected to this alleged abuse? 

When someone like Charlie Rose with his power can make or break your nascent career with just one phone call, email, conversation or letter, it's clear that any woman that felt she had no choice but to cope and try to persist is not to blame here.

Wrong question to ask IMO. Demonstrates how powerful society makes a certain number of people namely men at the expense of so many others. 

PEOPLE PUT UP WITH IT.  Sorry but as long as people put up with something, it goes on.  Doing the right thing is often painful.  So are you going to trade a job for this behavior?  It's a decision you have to make.  AND as long as there are those out there who say oh it's just part of the business it will go on.  SO what do you do about that?  Apparently people won't even report it.  

It's about morality and what you are willing to sacrifice for it.  I'm not saying it's right, but it's reality.  Right and reality are two different things.  In Hollywood, there are a lot of standards that won't fly with some people.  Somewhere society as a whole has to decide what it will allow and what it will accept.  As a society we accept, enable, or refuse to accept behavior.  And to stop something, a lot of people have to make difficult decisions and be willing to say no. . . Apparently Mr. Rose stopped when some of these woman said NO, or by behavior refused to comply.  But as long as some will put up with it, you won't stop it.  SO what happens then?

I am asking questions here, and I would love comments and discussion.  But "it's wrong" is not an answer or a solution.  What action should be taken?  How do we change attitudes?  Who is going to speak up to stop it?  Etc. etc.  Does "shame" enter the picture?  A few years ago someone in an important position got away with it but is still beloved and respected.  So will that be the case with many of these guys?  Just tossing out the question.

A problem won't go away because "it is wrong."  A problem has to be dealt with, and how do we do that?  THAT's my point here.  

Have you ever been harrassed? Known of anyone who harrassed?

Super Contributor

Broke my heart.  Who will it be today?  Hopefully this will be a true cultural change so that the bad behavior simply won’t occur as often, and when it does it will be immediately called out, nipped in the bud.  That should prevent long term abuse from everyone but the true deviants.  Some of the current reported incidents seem like silly, though offensive, frat boy stuff that won’t happen in the future when the men know they will be held accountable.  Others are a lot more pathological.

Honored Contributor

Let's be clear.  Grabbing a woman, uninvited, is Sexual Assault, not Harassment.

I do wonder if some women here who say "just say no" have ever been sexually assaulted by a man.  They can't really believe that they always back off.  And I also wonder if any of these women who say "just say no, and report it" have ever told someone in authority about their sexual assault only to be responded to with a wink and a smirk.