Honored Contributor

Re: Charlie Pride Dead from Covid-19

I'm not often shocked anymore, but I am at this news.  I didn't even know he was ill.

I'm so glad he was honored with a lifetime achievement award recently.  He was such a talented and humble man.  A true gentleman and I'm sorry to hear this sad news.

Honored Contributor

So sorry to hear this.  He used to play at celebrity golf tournaments here and was always such a gentleman.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

He always seemed to be a nice man.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Sad. He was recently on the Country Music Awards ~ month ago and was so sweet & humble.

RIP.

.Pride performing at the Capital Centre on the January 1981 Inauguration Day

Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@KatieB  Sad news, I had just seen him on an awards show getting a lifetime achievement award.  

He was a groundbreaker.  Video from about a month ago. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxM4GDimobE

@CAcableGirl2  @KatieB  I'm not  a country music fan but I watched that award presentation - love Darius Rucker and he was one of the presenters. And just recently too axs tv aired The Big Interview with Charley being interviewed by Dan Rather! This is so sad.

Honored Contributor

He was a trailblazer, probably the first African American country singer. It is so sad to make it to the age of 86, and then be taken down by this insidious disease.

Honored Contributor

Oh my!  So very sorry to hear this.

May his memory be eternal!

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I'm not often shocked anymore, but I am at this news.  I didn't even know he was ill.

I'm so glad he was honored with a lifetime achievement award recently.  He was such a talented and humble man.  A true gentleman and I'm sorry to hear this sad news.

@Venezia  After I posted about Charley I remembered he was just at the CMA Awards event (manybe a month ago?) where there no masks and barely any social distancing.  I recall posts (here and/or facebok)  about  the attendees not taking things seriously, making lighthearted jokes of the cdc guidelines, etc. A few people in the audience were playing around with mardi gras type masks. Woman Sad

He received a lifetime acheivement award taht night- and sang/spoke very clearly. Not ill at all. He probably got covid there- gheesh I hope they start taking this more seriously. Country music just lost a legend! 

Honored Contributor

ibb38,

I caught Charlie Pride's performance on the CMA Awards (but hadn't watched anything else), and I just checked to see the date of the show.  It was November 11. Like you, I wonder if he caught the virus preparing for, attending or performing at the show.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 Ray Charles did a lot of country songs too. "I Can't Stop Loving You" and "It's Cryin' Time" are a couple that come to mind. He loved country music because of the stories the songs tell. That being said, Charley Pride was one of the greats; condolences to his family. He will be missed.