Honored Contributor

Re: Charles Spencer (brother of Princess Diana) on Dateline:On Assignment

@AKgirl2 wrote:

Boo hoo ... Sell a tiara or two, maybe the ol' yacht and Balmoral castle in Scotland, etc., etc., etc.....

Wilfully clueless.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I loved watching her love others and was heartbroken when she died but I couldn't sleep in her bed. I could do a all nighter with friends tho, that would be a blast.

Respected Contributor

I read that certain sections have been available for various business and social functions for years, but nothing overnight. Charles Spencer said he stopped after Diana's death. He did not want to be accused of cashing in on the tragedy. The article said Madonna wanted to rent it for her marriage ceremonies with Guy Ritchie. Charles and the board declined because security would have been a nightmare.

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

Boo hoo ... Sell a tiara or two, maybe the ol' yacht and Balmoral castle in Scotland, etc., etc., etc.....

@AKgirl2

Who?  Her brother?  He doesn't own Balmoral nor did he inherit her estate, so how does what you said make any sense to you?

Esteemed Contributor

Donating the proceeds to charity would probably appeal to Diana.

I hope they raise a ton of money!
Respected Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

He has nothing to do with Balmoral or the royal family.  

Honored Contributor

I think it is cool.  You know, I think Diana would be happy!  England is over inventory in the castle and manor dept!  Oh my, all over.  They are soooooo expensive to keep.  They need to be staffed all the time.  Heating is enormous, and it is one expensive project after another.  You need to keep someone on premises all the time, or they will be vandalized.  Rooms need to be closed off, but cleaned and maintained.  They are drafty and dusty.  They are wonderfully beautiful  Some more than others.  I think also many castles still have share croppers so to speak, and people that depend on your keeping castle running. But it isn't just the castle or home itself, it is the land, ponds, pools and grounds that need to be maintained as well.

Respected Contributor

I read where the first son inherits these estates. They are incredibly expensive to maintain and some have gone into ruins because the son does not have the financial means to keep-up the place. I know Charles did have tours there at one time. The home with Downton Abby was filmed was rented out to the show so they could pay up-keep expenses. 

Honored Contributor

I think I read that some time ago.  All I can ssy is that is one expensive B&B.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

On a tv show I watched, a couple devoted almost all of their time making money to keep an estate going that they were to inherit someday. Meanwhile, they lived in a small house with four kids while his parents lived in the estate. The upkeep of the gardens/grounds etc. was discussed. They even offered paid tours, but were still in constant need of funds. Though I think these mansions are beautiful, I don't know if I'd want to stay in one. One of their friends said everytime she stayed there ghosts were in her bedroom. It didn't bother her. I don't know....it just seems kind of creepy to me.