Respected Contributor

Re: Charles Krauthammer has passed

I leave this life with no regrets. It was a wonderful life – full and complete with the great loves and great endeavors that make it worth living. I am sad to leave, but I leave with the knowledge that I lived the life that I intended.

From Charles Krauthammer's Letter of Goodbye

Leave it to Charles to put a positive twist on his doctor's "final verdict."   He led the life he intended.  That is vintage Krauthammer.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I thought he died at least a couple weeks ago. I remember at least one thread here. Am I hallucinating?

@suzyQ3- there was a thread about a week or two ago about his cancer returning and the prognosis being grim.  The doctors were giving him only a few weeks and he passed away today.

@JeanLouiseFinch, oh, yes. Now I remember. Thank you.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

Who is he?

@DiAnneCharles Krauthammer was a brilliant policital commentator but even more than that.  When he spoke, people took notice and listened.  He was also a Harvard trained psychiatrist and Pulitzer prize winner.  Even though they may not have been in agreement on certain topics, he had the respect of people on both sides of the political aisle.  While in medical school he was paralyzed from a diving accident.  During his time in the hospital, he was determined not to get behind in his studies so he had someone suspend a plexiglass panel over his bed.  While laying flat on his back he would read his textbooks through the plexiglass and have the nurses turn the pages for him.  I'm not 100% certain, but I believe he graduated on time with the rest of his class.  He's been wheelchair bound ever since, but has lived a life of determination and success.  He was married and had one son.  He had a modified van that he could drive himself.  He was an author, polictial commentator, and Washington Nationals baseball fan.  A remarkable person.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew, thank you for posting.   He lived his life to the fullest and just the way that he wanted.  I will miss his intellect.  RIP Charles.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

I am so sorry to hear this!  I really enjoyed his commentary!! 

Trusted Contributor

I imagine he and Tim Russert are having quite a conversation now! May he RIP. He will be terribly missed. 

Honored Contributor

Charles was a brilliant man who overcame so much.  He was respected by people on both sides of the aisle politically.  He was a good man and a kind man.  Most recently, he has been seen on Fox News in the evening.  If you ever feel sorry for yourself, think of what he has overcome.....wow.....paralyzed at a young age, gets his medical degree, marries, has a son, drives his own car....kept on going everyday!   Heaven received a good man today!!  He will be greatly missed!! 

Respected Contributor

A man who cared about the truth...I will miss him. Blessing To His Loved Ones & May He Rest In Peace. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, @Nancy Drew.  I had no idea it was today.

Strange, I can't for the moment think of anyone else, syndicated columnist as he was, or television pundit, who had quite the mix of cognitive giftedness that he possessed, PLUS the intellectual honesty and integrity that he breathed.   Intellect plus character.  

That seems to me to account for some of the intense devotion of his reading and listening public.  He leaves such a void in the arena of social observation and opinion.  RIP.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch

He did graduate from medical school on time, despite his injury. In addition to all of the attributes and accomplishments you’ve mentioned, everyone who knew him said he was a very kind man.