Super Contributor

Re: Charities that send "gifts" to elicit donations

I made monthly donations to a well known charity for years. I don't know what happened with them, but something changed with their tactics.  For most of those years, I usually only received a "handmade" ornament and maybe a card colored by a child.  And those address labels, and a calendar.  I didn't send extra since I was already giving to them every month.

But in the last couple of years, I started receiving calls asking for me to send additional money. I kept telling them no, that I was already sending the most I could spare. I asked them to stop calling, and they did not. 

The final straw was when I receive a rather large packet of fund raising materials along with a request that I hit up all my friends and family for donations - all I had to do was hand out the flyers and return envelopes for everyone to send their gifts.  All with a painful to read plea for help because the lives of children were depending on me.

I finally wrote the them and asked to cancel my monthly donation and to remove me from their mailing and calling lists. And I told them why. Their heavy handed approach cost them my monthly donations.   A very similar thing happened with another charity that was also getting monthly donations. This one was for helping animals. While they didn't have the nerve to ask me to fundraise for them, they did start to call me at least once a month to ask for more money.

I don't expect thanks from any charity, but the last thing I want from them is the constant impression that my donations are never big enough, and using guilt to try to get more. 

I still give to a few causes that I care about, but I do so anonymously. And I NEVER donate to any charity that calls on the phone.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I get so tired of receiving these little gifts in the mail - things like greeting cards or stationary or note pads or return address labels as a means of making me feel I have to send money to the charity because they sent me this gift. Today I got 10 return address labels and 3 note tablets and 5 greeting cards from an organization I have never even heard of. They are all embossed with my name and address on them so I assume they feel I will feel obligated to donate to them. I have organizations that I am happy to send my donations to and I hate being solicited by these others. Do you donate to someone just because they send you something?

On the other hand are the political candidates and parties - OMG - make one donation and you will be hounded for life. They are relentless!

write on the donation slip in big letters

"please remove from mailing list, I am not interested" and don't share my name, and send it back,

Eventually you will stop getting them, I did this for my mother, it's even worth the stamp

Honored Contributor

@RazorSharp wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I get so tired of receiving these little gifts in the mail - things like greeting cards or stationary or note pads or return address labels as a means of making me feel I have to send money to the charity because they sent me this gift. Today I got 10 return address labels and 3 note tablets and 5 greeting cards from an organization I have never even heard of. They are all embossed with my name and address on them so I assume they feel I will feel obligated to donate to them. I have organizations that I am happy to send my donations to and I hate being solicited by these others. Do you donate to someone just because they send you something?

On the other hand are the political candidates and parties - OMG - make one donation and you will be hounded for life. They are relentless!

With all the junk mail you receive in the mail everyday, you choose to criticize mail from  organizations that are working to help those in need?  

That's not the point...who needs the unwanted junkmail

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

Your contact info will eventually fall off their radar if you don't donate-   I would continue to contribute only to the causes that mean something to you!

Eventually?  I wish I could believe that.

My mom felt obligated to send something to everyone.  She couldn't afford it.

When her mind began to fail and I took over her affairs...her mailing address was changed to my house.

That was 5 years ago....I never sent a penny to any of them and we STILL receive them daily.

She is deceased now but the junk mail keeps coming.  Post Office said Return to Sender will not work due to the class of bulk mailing they use.

I have returned their form and marked it deceased (if it has a postage paid envelope).  Doesn't help.

These are generated from Marketing Firms who are paid...NOT the Charity.  They are hired.  The marketing firm assumes someone is getting the mail...and MIGHT send something.

In many cases, less than 3% of your donation EVER makes it to the charity...and many Non-Profits have CEO making 6 digits.

Sad waste of paper and funding in my opinion.

@RespectLife  This happened to me, too.  Here's how I stopped it:  

Go to their website and via "contact us" send an Email (and save for future documentation) explaining your mother is deceased  (this might be important later) and ask them to please stop sending mail for her to your house.  

You'll most likely receive a standard form reply saying they will remove the name from their mailing list but asking you to please be patient as it may take a few mailings for it to take effect.  If the mailings do not stop (and, unfortunately, they probably will not), send another Email off the first one warning that their persistence in sending mail to your deceased mother is tantamount to mental and emotional harassment, causing you anguish and that you are considering filing a law suit.  It worked like a charm every time for me.    

@RespectLife@You should be able to go the Direct Marketing Association website and looking for a link for how to remove a dead person from mailing lists.   If you can't find it @  me and I will try to help 

Esteemed Contributor

The only organization that's done that to me was the DAV, Disabled American Veterans, which I was happy to contribute to.

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

Your contact info will eventually fall off their radar if you don't donate-   I would continue to contribute only to the causes that mean something to you!

Eventually?  I wish I could believe that.

My mom felt obligated to send something to everyone.  She couldn't afford it.

When her mind began to fail and I took over her affairs...her mailing address was changed to my house.

That was 5 years ago....I never sent a penny to any of them and we STILL receive them daily.

She is deceased now but the junk mail keeps coming.  Post Office said Return to Sender will not work due to the class of bulk mailing they use.

I have returned their form and marked it deceased (if it has a postage paid envelope).  Doesn't help.

These are generated from Marketing Firms who are paid...NOT the Charity.  They are hired.  The marketing firm assumes someone is getting the mail...and MIGHT send something.

In many cases, less than 3% of your donation EVER makes it to the charity...and many Non-Profits have CEO making 6 digits.

Sad waste of paper and funding in my opinion.

@RespectLife  This happened to me, too.  Here's how I stopped it:  

Go to their website and via "contact us" send an Email (and save for future documentation) explaining your mother is deceased  (this might be important later) and ask them to please stop sending mail for her to your house.  

You'll most likely receive a standard form reply saying they will remove the name from their mailing list but asking you to please be patient as it may take a few mailings for it to take effect.  If the mailings do not stop (and, unfortunately, they probably will not), send another Email off the first one warning that their persistence in sending mail to your deceased mother is tantamount to mental and emotional harassment, causing you anguish and that you are considering filing a law suit.  It worked like a charm every time for me.    

@RespectLife@You should be able to go the Direct Marketing Association website and looking for a link for how to remove a dead person from mailing lists.   If you can't find it @  me and I will try to help 

Before I went to my 'extreme' measure, I complained to the Post Office about it.  They told me they get around requests by including on the labels, "Mrs. John Doe, or current resident."  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

If I get an unsolicited donation request, I try to locate a phone number on the letter and contact them to remove off their mailing list. Usually within a half year these solicitations stop. 

You can keep the cards, the address labels  & even the nickels! 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I ignore their requests and keep the items if I want them.

Esteemed Contributor

I love getting the gifts.  I've received garden gloves umbrellas all kinds of little pet blankets.  I usually give what I can.  It makes me feel I'm doing something for animals in need. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I just "love" the ones who can't even spell my name right (after I've sent them a check)...........and then call me on the phone wanting me to leave them in my will...............

♥Surface of the Sun♥