Respected Contributor

Re: Charging admission to your wedding?

@haddon9 wrote:

@Financialgrl wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I wonder how many will show up.

We once received a wedding invitation that included a card stating that if you were going to be so generous as to gift them, please make it cash.

RSVP'd - 0 will attend.

I've heard of this more than "pay to attend my wedding".  If I get such a request as the OP and one to gift cash I'd RSVP I'm not going and there'd be NO gift. 

I have nieces and a nephew who've gotten married in the past - what I always do is attend one bridal shower if I'm invited to more than one and I'll pick something from their registry (and I include the gift receipt so they could return if they got duplicates) and I always give a check in a nice card for their wedding.  

I always give a check in a card for the wedding too and thought that most people do....so no need to ask for cash which is a very tacky thing to do.

A niece got married 2 years ago and the wedding planner had a gift table set up at the reception bc she said ppl still bring them to the reception but I was surprised to see gifts.  My niece said she'd also gotten wedding gifts sent directly to their home too but for the most part they got checks.

Honored Contributor

The one I read about a year ago was the couple charging $1,500.00 to attend their wedding.  Due to very few return RSVP cards with enclosed checks the couple cancelled their wedding.  The Bride could not understand why her family and friends were not allowing her to have the wedding of her dreams.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I got interested and read The Daily Mail story, and it said the cousin's parents offered to pay the entrance fee but she still declined. If this is true tea, I would have told the bride my $50 would be in Monopoly money. The more of these wedding horror stories I hear the more thankful I am my friends are my age and older - that means less invitations! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I avoid weddings as much as possible anyway. I most certainly would not pay to attend one, though there are a few I might have paid to avoid... I wouldn't even bother to send an RSVP card to this bride. She's apparently a legend in her own unsound mind... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

@cactusgal  LOVE IT!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This was not a made up story; the wedding took place the day after I posted the info. As I understand it, the brides cousin couldn’t afford to go as she had already given her a gift at a bridal shower, but her aunt did end up paying her way. They had invited 200 people and she said approx 145 attended. The church where they had the ceremony is small and only one entrance door in the back but also a couple in the front near the choir loft. Am guessing some came in through those. There was a line going in but it kept moving as many either showed up late or early to avoid any line and not paying. She said the ceremony was beautiful, the reception was in a conference hall not far from the church, and they went to London for their honeymoon. That’s all I know. I still think it is tacky to expect people to pay to come to your wedding!