Honored Contributor

Re: Charging admission to your wedding?

If they got wind of it they would squawk, believe me. Our churches are open to all...they wouldn't put up with it @SahmIam   I don't understand how that would ever work. People are free to attended any funeral or wedding   because mass is  being said

You can't hire out a church for a private function ..I am sure cannon law would prohibit it

Honored Contributor

@cherry We'll have to agree to disagree, my friend Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I am still just laughing at the idea that if you don't fork over the 50 bucks you have to stand in line to get in.

Too funny

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@VegasBusinessWoman wrote:

Weddings these days seem to be an opportunity to shake down the guests for the privilege of attending a personal spectacle.  This move is beyond brazen.

@VegasBusinessWoman   I’ve never noticed this in any weddings I’ve attended. What type of ‘shake downs’ have you seen at weddings?

Same here.  I've attended a lot of weddings in the last few years.  None have been "gift grabs" or shakedowns.  This is most definitely not a trend, and certainly not a "weddings these days" issue.  The large majority of couples don't do anything close to what was described by the OP.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

My youngest seems to get baby shower and wedding invitations all the time, the usual are: Baby basics shower, then gender-reveal shower, then post-baby shower. Wedding is couples engagement shower, then bridal shower, then a couples shower. Every one is “gift required” and most are at restaurants where everyone pays with separate checks. Don’t even get me started on the destination weddings...last year she got invites to Bermuda, Grand Cayman, Paris, and someplace in Scotland. She went to one in Grand Cayman since she had miles she could use to get there.

@lovesrecess   Wait, .... everyone who attends these showers that are held at a restaurant pays for their meal?!!  I haven't heard of that!

If I'm invited to a party at a restaurant I would expect my host to pay.

Trusted Contributor

Who does this "bride-to-be" think she is??? Wow!! If it was an acquaintance l definitely would NOT go! If a close relative l would go but l would deduct that amount from her wedding gift...AND the next time l saw her l would tell her what l thought about her stupid idea!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:

My youngest seems to get baby shower and wedding invitations all the time, the usual are: Baby basics shower, then gender-reveal shower, then post-baby shower. Wedding is couples engagement shower, then bridal shower, then a couples shower. Every one is “gift required” and most are at restaurants where everyone pays with separate checks. Don’t even get me started on the destination weddings...last year she got invites to Bermuda, Grand Cayman, Paris, and someplace in Scotland. She went to one in Grand Cayman since she had miles she could use to get there.

@lovesrecess   Wait, .... everyone who attends these showers that are held at a restaurant pays for their meal?!!  I haven't heard of that!

If I'm invited to a party at a restaurant I would expect my host to pay.

I've never heard of that either.  Those don't sound like showers to me.  They sound like friends getting together.  If people are invited to an event, the host pays.  I haven't ever been invited to anything where it was any different than that.

I've also never heard of "gift required".

Honored Contributor

They are assuming that they will be guaranteed a certain sum by assigning $50 to attend. 

It's tacky and I'm being kind.

I would still send the RSVP back with a zero, though.  They would still need a head count for dinner so there would be no harm doing so.

What I am not understanding is how are they going to stop people from attending if they didn't pay the $50????

Will there be a guard with a list-"Sorry, you are not on the list.  Go home."

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I wonder how many will show up.

We once received a wedding invitation that included a card stating that if you were going to be so generous as to gift them, please make it cash.

RSVP'd - 0 will attend.

I've heard of this more than "pay to attend my wedding".  If I get such a request as the OP and one to gift cash I'd RSVP I'm not going and there'd be NO gift. 

I have nieces and a nephew who've gotten married in the past - what I always do is attend one bridal shower if I'm invited to more than one and I'll pick something from their registry (and I include the gift receipt so they could return if they got duplicates) and I always give a check in a nice card for their wedding.  

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I wonder how many will show up.

We once received a wedding invitation that included a card stating that if you were going to be so generous as to gift them, please make it cash.

RSVP'd - 0 will attend.

I've heard of this more than "pay to attend my wedding".  If I get such a request as the OP and one to gift cash I'd RSVP I'm not going and there'd be NO gift. 

I have nieces and a nephew who've gotten married in the past - what I always do is attend one bridal shower if I'm invited to more than one and I'll pick something from their registry (and I include the gift receipt so they could return if they got duplicates) and I always give a check in a nice card for their wedding.  

I always give a check in a card for the wedding too and thought that most people do....so no need to ask for cash which is a very tacky thing to do.