Honored Contributor

Re: Charging admission to your wedding?

Cash demanded is not a gift. It sound more like ransom
Honored Contributor

I don’t want anyone coming to my wedding if I have to charge them. That just means I can’t afford whatever I am spending on my wedding.
Honored Contributor

The $50 would definitely be considered the wedding gift by most guests, so the bride is cutting her “ take”
Honored Contributor

I am thinking there won’t be much of a line....
Honored Contributor

No
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I think this sounds like a made up story to see how far some people are willing to go and maybe start a discussion (fight).

@Lipstickdiva  I agree this is made up. When is the wedding? Let’s see if there is a follow up and how it went. And why would there be waiting in line?

Honored Contributor

Believe it or not, the older sister of one of my sons' best friends is doing this.  My son is NOT attending, btw.

I have not met this chick but her younger brother (by 10 years) is my soon to be 20 year old sons' best friend. The guy is embarrassed by it and makes it VERY clear it's all on his sister for doing this. The couple are 30 and are receiving some help from both sets of parents for the wedding (not much from the brides' parents according to my sons friend). The reason for the charge? Because they are paying off student loans, they are saving for a house, they want to go somewhere "nice" for their honeymoon and feel it's "the least people can do to ensure we have a nice wedding instead of something in the town hall". 

As per her little brother, family is TICKED OFF. EVERYONE has to pay to attend. Now, she's the ONLY girl on both sides so....people are going to pay. It's pathetic. That said, there are people who WILL go along and so.... it's going to happen.

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of any church or chapel that has an admittance policy. I think most clergy would refuse to perform a wedding ,if they felt people were being charged to get into the  building

Unless it might be some Vegas place

Honored Contributor

@cherry  Archdiocese of Baltimore is where their church is located; wedding is scheduled for October of this year. The church/clergy have nothing to do with it just as they have nothing to do with gifts or a charge for the reception.

I don't see any difference in this "charge" or stating a gift must be XYZ amount to "cover your plate". It's still expecting people to pay money to attend. And this is in addition to the wedding gift, so....

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

I have never heard of any church or chapel that has an admittance policy. I think most clergy would refuse to perform a wedding ,if they felt people were being charged to get into the  building

Unless it might be some Vegas place

The churches I have attended always stressed anyone in the church community can come to any wedding performed.  This "charge" is meant for attendance at the reception, I'm sure.  (I'm also sure if it was a famous person, there would be stricter rules on who could attend the church part, too).