Respected Contributor

Re: Charging admission to your wedding?

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

That boggles my mind.  If it was a close relative where it would create family hard feelings if I didn't go, I would probably send the fifty bucks and bring a small token gift to the wedding....like a $25 gift.

if it was a more distant relative or a friend, I would send my regrets.

i think it's totally tacky to request that, though.

Anyone who would charge you to go to their wedding is not concerned about feelings. lol  

@sunshine 919 I hear ya...I was thinking of a scenario where a nephew's bride-to-be came up with this and my sis would be mortified but trying not to rock the boat.  I would go to support my sister.  Does that make sense?

Honored Contributor

I don’t think this tactic will go over well with the guests. The bride and groom need some 

quick advice about undoing this stupid idea and they need some advice on starting over.

No, I wouldn’t send in $50 to attend. 

I hope they know they will need to pay income tax when they are charging a fee. 

Honored Contributor

The brides’s cousin is the one who was posting about it; she said she didn’t have the money to pay the fee and her aunt told her she was selfish...I would be staying as far away from that event as possible.
Honored Contributor

I have to wonder how many people she invited if she thinks there will be a long line just to get inside. She may be surprised that there is no line...and no guests.
Honored Contributor

I think most who actually pay the $50 would consider that to be their gift. The wedding was supposed to be today....will be looking for an update and will post.
Honored Contributor

Gauche

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Sounded like she can afford the lavish wedding...but wants to recoup what she spends with the entrance fees. I know I would have offended every person I invited if I had done such a thing!
Honored Contributor

I am familiar with ATIA, but apparently the bride wanted to recoup and “ break even” on the wedding.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

In my mind....if you are a guest, you pay for nothing...your presence is a gift.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
In my mind....if you are a guest, you pay for nothing...your presence is a gift.

@lovesrecess  Some don’t have an open bar and charge for drinks.