Honored Contributor

Re: Changes to Social Security Disability 2020

@Jinlei wrote:

I think the government needs to crack down on disability.  Disability for depression?  Disability for back trouble?  There are so many people on Judge Judy who are on SS disability and they look like they are healthy enough to work.  I realize there are many people who really need this.  But, I think there are a lot who just do not want to work and want the government to pay their way.  JMO

Just because you don't look disabled doesn't mean you aren't.....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nbo wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I am all for eliminating fraud....there are people who know how to work the system.

My daughter is on Disability and if you have documentation that you are being treated for your illness, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

@Nataliesgramma I am lucky that I am married and we are able to live with one income. I worked until I could no longer work. I look healthy but the burning nerve pain I have is so bad that sometimes I can't even think. I stopped working because I started having to check and recheck my work because I was scare to mess up. I have been seeing a Doctor for this condition and no I don't qualify for disability. It's nerve damage and not enough for disability. 

@Nbo

You may want to consult a local SSA attorney. He/she can tell you more about your condition and SSDI rules. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I am all for eliminating fraud....there are people who know how to work the system.

My daughter is on Disability and if you have documentation that you are being treated for your illness, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

@Nataliesgramma I am lucky that I am married and we are able to live with one income. I worked until I could no longer work. I look healthy but the burning nerve pain I have is so bad that sometimes I can't even think. I stopped working because I started having to check and recheck my work because I was scare to mess up. I have been seeing a Doctor for this condition and no I don't qualify for disability. It's nerve damage and not enough for disability. 

@Nbo

You may want to consult a local SSA attorney. He/she can tell you more about your condition and SSDI rules. 

@Nuttmeg   Yes, because the people who for SSA don’t have access to those rules; whereas an “SSA attorney” somehow knows more than the people who work with it everyday. 

Now I’m wondering...what’s worse...an SSA attorney or what is referred to as an ”ambulance chaser.”

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@Nbo

@Nuttmeg  Thank You. I am lucky that loosing my income was not a hardship but what happens to people who don't have that luxury. The cruelty is astounding.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

Add food stamps, subsidized housing, food banks,  “soup kitchens,”Medicaid. They get what they need.  

The amount they get may be based on their work history, but not the money they Govternmget. And those who have never worked…I don’t know how their amount is determined.

It’s tax money. 

Shoekitty said

Most of what you said is untrue. Most people on disability do not qualify for medicaid, you do not get foodstamps with most disability and i laugh about the housing.  Not in california.  Subsadized housing housing is a rarity here. There is a waiting list of thousands and you usually have to have children, long story.If you are in a facilit you benone of those things if you are on disability. Soup kitchens are not in every town, in our town they serve dinner twice a week.  

@shoekitty  I thought food stamps were based on income...disabled, retired or working. 

Ditto for medicaid (before eligibility for Medicare). 

Not true?

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

Instead of looking at what others are getting or have, why not look at what we have.  When I read some of these posts it makes me sad at the lack of compassion  or insight for those who a on disability, welfare, food stamps or such. It might be better to be be thankful that you dont have to need the services.  Dont worry about what they get.  I pay taxes for lots of things I dont use.  I dont  have kids in schooll yet  I help pay for them.  I have paid taxes on everything for over 50 years of my life.  There will always be a few that take advantage of everything.  But if it means 9 of the 10 people who receive food stamps need and appreciate them in their life it is worth it.

be thankful and not so judgemental of those in need..

i think there is a saying about walking in moccasins I could use here.  But I think the point is driven.

@shoekitty   Absolutely agree with everything in your post. Could never have said it as well as you. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg : Thanks for the information. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@Nbo wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@Nbo   Have you seen a disability attorney?  There are no fees unless your case is approved and you win.  The attorney's fees are paid from your disability.

I applied for disability on my own and was turned down 3 times.  I knew I was disabled, and so did my doctors.  I finally went to an attorney at my doctor's suggestion and was approved.  It was a very long process, and I got paid back to the first date they said I was disabled.  Now I get monthly payments.  I would think significant nerve damage would definitely qualify you for disability. It certainly can't hurt to see an attorney.  They have lots of experience and will not take your case if they don't think you can win.  My attorney said you were usually turned down if you didn't have an attorney.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Nbo wrote:

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@Nbo   Have you seen a disability attorney?  There are no fees unless your case is approved and you win.  The attorney's fees are paid from your disability.

I applied for disability on my own and was turned down 3 times.  I knew I was disabled, and so did my doctors.  I finally went to an attorney at my doctor's suggestion and was approved.  It was a very long process, and I got paid back to the first date they said I was disabled.  Now I get monthly payments.  I would think significant nerve damage would definitely qualify you for disability. It certainly can't hurt to see an attorney.  They have lots of experience and will not take your case if they don't think you can win.  My attorney said you were usually turned down if you didn't have an attorney.

@NickNack No,but I will look into it. Thanks

Honored Contributor

@Nbo : Please consider this option. I was handicapped and worked but denied disability when applied and turned down. They lady at social security called to tell me about the denial and said I should get a social security lawyer because my denial was based on my age of 45. When I called the lawyers office for appointment they saw me the same day. The lawyers office had a lot of steps and no hadrails- disability lawyer🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️Because of afraid of falling- I sat on the step and for no better word- used by behind to move up. He said - I had a strong case. Still took 2 years for a hearing with a judge but approved 2 months after his decision and approved a year later for Medicare and diagnosed that same year with breast cancer but I still count my Blessings.Southern Bee