Respected Contributor

Our area like many have seen schools on partial/modified schedules due to COVID.

This has forced parents to take a fresh approach to education.

In my area, 2 concepts are becoming hugely popular.

1- for young children daycares are now offering "amish style" schools (their words not mine) for a fee your children are placed in small social school rooms/pods.   Where the daycare worker is the hands-on guide to the charter virtual classes.   Children are of similar grades so they can also support each other and share knowledge.  Social distancing in place of course.  All work and homework is completed at the daycare.

2- for older kids, small groups are formed again similar ages/grades so group activities are appropriate.  Some of the upperclassmen will present their project to the group so everyone can learn.

Parents act as the hands-on preceptors to the virtual learning.

Everyone takes a turn so that parents can still work.  They even invite people from the community to present on special learning topics.  Retirees are lining up to assist.

I know people with children in both groups who say they and their children are so happy with the arrangement they would continue post COVID.  Especially the older children- they are excited to prepare projects to present to their group and are doing this learning on their own time.  

My BF said her ho-hum junior high student is now excited about school and education now.  She can not believe how happy he is to go to school.  

Something good came out of all this turmoil Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I agree that it's a good approach. If I had encountered such a scenario when my daughter was in school, I would have participated.

But we have to recognize that this is only for those of a certain status and income. This pandemic has further divided the halfs from the have-nots. I hope that other cities and states might do what we're doing here in California to address this right now.

We are at risk of losing a huge number of children when it comes to their education.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

We are also seeing more informal groups.  The families agree to certain restrictions, like no restaurants or in store shopping, and the kids can then group.  Sometimes in a couple of bubbles so there is time between.  Seems to make the kids happier.

Honored Contributor

Re: Change in education

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl 

I attended grades 1 - 6 in classes like this, it was a wonderful 

Learning / Life experience.

@suzyQ3 

Students were selected for multiracial and socioeconomic representation.  ITA it was a rare opportunity.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

We have been losing a large number of children for a long time.  

Honored Contributor
There is a very distressing article in Propublica on Native American students in bureau of Indian education-operated schools who still have no access to remote learning: no laptops and in some areas 95% of homes have no internet.
Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
There is a very distressing article in Propublica on Native American students in bureau of Indian education-operated schools who still have no access to remote learning: no laptops and in some areas 95% of homes have no internet.

This is terrible.  They are really going to have to go old school, literally Little House on the Prairie small groups with textbooks and blackboards.

Many of us had to rely on books and our parents to learn.  I even went through college with no internet and computers were just coming out but you had to go to the computer lab.

Kids must think I am 100

Honored Contributor
COVID has been so destructive in Native American communities with few resources to help them. They are trying their best to protect their elders hence the strong desire for remote learning by tribal members. Funds and the tools to make possible were allocated, despite some pushback to open all classes in person, but the funds sat, did not get distributed for months, and purchase orders not issued. So some students still have no school. In some cases, the teachers have “disappeared” and are not contacting students.
Honored Contributor

Some of the larger Y's here have a program where distance learners have a a desk there, there's a Y worker who is there to assist the children with their laptops and to keep them focus. It's probably expensive.   The Y worker has a small group of students but I sure the kids don't help each other out.  Two kids might be in the 4th grade but if they are in different classrooms with different teachers and in different schools, they can't help each other out.  I have heard that some sahm's host a couple of their children's classmates at their house.  They make some extra money and the other parent can go to work, knowing that her children are being taken care of and the school work is getting done.  Some college students also oversee distance learners.  It's a challenge, people are definitely thinking outside the box.    

Honored Contributor

My almost 18-year-old grandson is tutoring online in addition to his own classes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland