Esteemed Contributor

Change (a.k.a. "Progress") - Struggling to Accept

My dad spent the majority of his working years working for the Southern Pacific Rail Road in Sacramento.

He retired when it was bought out by Union Pacific Rail Road, and they closed the shop.

Now, they are developing the land in to a shopping center, housing, a stadium.

Here's the plan.

https://www.cityofsacramento.org/City-Manager/Major-Projects/Railyards-Project 

I have to admit that there is a very real part of me that hates to see the old shop go.

It feels like they are getting rid of history, erasing it, and getting rid of a part of my dad.

I know that that sounds silly and stupid, but it's how I feel.

Yet, on the other hand, I'm trying to think of how my dad would feel about it if he were still alive.

Would he hate to see the buildings go?

Yes, he would, but at the same time, he would also understand and accept that that is valuable property, and that it would be silly and wasteful to just let the land sit idle, just for sentimental reasons, and would be glad to see the land put to use.

From the pictures of the proposals, it looks like they are not getting rid of all of the buildings, so there is some comfort in that.

I don't know when the compleation date is, but once it's finished, I plan on going down to visit.

I already know that there will be tears.

So, how are you on change, areas from your past changing?

Happy?

Sad?

Accepting?

Wistful?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Change (a.k.a. "Progress") - Struggling to Accept

I am wistful when it comes to change that has good memories attached.I miss my son who went to college in another state and then loved it so much he started his career there.I am happy for him but those memories are everywhere in my daily life...so I am often reflective.

i understand how you feel about losing those old buildings that hold memories of your dad and your youth.It is harder if the persons are no longer with us to have those places which were so much a part of daily life as you loved it and lived it disappear.

Honored Contributor

I am not very good with change, in some ways, i find it difficult in my life,i know there is nothing i can do about it,but not good at that.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

"Change" and "progress" are not always synonymous... Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819  I completely know how you feel! Right now I'm living in a development built on my paternal grandparents' farm - part of which was my home growing up. My mother sold my maternal grandparents' farm, where we lived for the first 3 years of our marriage. It is now a street with many houses. My cousin's farm is a huge development. The "clubhouse" was their farmhouse. MY DH is a local historian, so he keeps photographic and written records. I can't remember when I stopped being devistated by the changes and started shrugging my shoulders. I think it was about 40 years ago.

Respected Contributor

It is the story of humanity and our presence on the Earth--we are constantly developing, building, tearing down, rebuilding and so forth.

Historic preservation efforts are always critical for architecture we deem of special significance.

Change is always a part of our existence, and we must learn to adapt.

Our memories, however, are perpetual, and our love, eternal. 

I think your father would be pleased and honored that you remember him and are concerned about his feelings.  He worked hard because he loved his family and wanted all of you to be healthy and happy.  Hopefully the new construction will provide plenty of future opportunities for your community.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper @That was beautiful.

Honored Contributor

It is funny that you mentioned where your Dad worked is being torn down. Four companies that my Dad worked for are no longer in business. My Dad really put his heart and time into his first job after he got out of WWII. Even moved 1,200 miles when the company moved. Then the company was sold to the new company, Baldwin, Lima, Hamilton. They eventually went out of business. So Dad went to DeLaval Turbine.  Sad to see all his companies are gone.

On the other hand, my Grandfather (Dad's Dad) and his brother were engineers. They helped design and supervise the construction of the George Washington Bridge, Ben Franklin Bridge (Philadelphia), Lincoln Tunnel, Panama Canal and other structures. And they are all being used today - except not sure about the original Panama Canal.

Honored Contributor

There are seasons to everything in life. Sometimes it's time to preserve the old. Sometimes it's time to plant the new.

When you're in a tough or stagnant situation, positive change is wonderful and very welcome. So if change didn't work for everything, it wouldn't be there to save us when we need it.

What's hard is that so often change is out of our control. No one asks us what we think about it or gets our permission. It's constant coping and letting go. It gets really tiring for me sometimes.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous032819  Changes like that would make me a little sad.  I really hope for you a companion, someone you can share your life with and have a shoulder to cry on when you need one. I will always think of you fondly like that and always hope for you a long and happy relationship with someone that can bring a smile and contentment to your life.