Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chance of strong storms or Derecho today in our area today

I'm in the slight risk area, but I still decided to change my plans for today to stay closer to home.

Concerned for DS & DDIL who live in the DC 'burbs. In addition, he may be travelling by air today.

Respected Contributor

I remember the derecho that passed through here in June 2012. Our neighborhood lost power in 2 sections for a week when tree limbs took out the power lines. Our cars were in our driveway, but our neighbor's car was on the street, stuck under a downed power line. I think the worst of today's storm is supposed to hit the Maryland suburbs, but we'll get strong thunderstorms. 

Here's what I recall from 2012:

* The storm came through very fast with strong winds that stripped the leaves off the trees, followed by an eerie silence and darkness. Keep abreast of the storm's progress and stay indoors when it gets close to your home. 

* There were widespread power outages. Dominion Energy's focus was on getting hospitals and other similar organizations up and running. They'd only consider residences if the power lines were sparking or showing a flame. Make sure to charge battery chargers, flashlights, cell phones, etc. Also, fill up your cars, as the gas pumps may not work. Get out some books, board games and cards.
* Most hotels only had enough power to cover basic functions, like hallway and stairway lighting. Some of those that had full power set room rates at $500 per night or higher. If you lose power and they don't expect to restore it by the next day, try to get a hotel room ASAP.

* If you do end up going to a hotel, stop by your house at intermittent times every day you're away. Our neighbor told us he saw thieves driving through our neighborhood to identify unoccupied houses. When he made noises, they quickly drove away. The police tried to patrol, but they were stretched pretty thin.

* We lost 2 refrigerators full of food. If you lose power, but know someone who still has power, see if you can store some of your more expensive frozen food with them.

* Along those lines, we have an all electric kitchen. If you know someone who has a gas range, offer to cook them dinner in exchange for using their stove. It beats wasting that food.

Good luck to everyone who may be impacted by this storm. Hopefully, it won't be as bad as they're predicting.

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

That's what we call a "Dust Storm" in Arizona.....    

In my part of Texas, we call them "sand storms." The soil is loose. When winds hit they can severely damage or kill crops, sand blast your car damaging the paint, affect the grout on brick, and cause low visibility. Not fun.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

That's what we call a "Dust Storm" in Arizona.....    

Derecho has tons of rain, lightning, wind and no dust.  A hurricane on speed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Eileen in Virginia   In 2012, what I remember was the sound of the thunder.  Not a normal sound.  No rumble, just very sharp bangs.  Like a gun firing over and over. The lightning was just crazy.  I thought someone was running through the neighborhood shooting a machine gun. 

Respected Contributor

Looks like east central Pa. is to get some bad weather, too. Looks to start around 3 p.m. and end around 1 a.,m. Heavy rain, wind and thunderstorms. Everyone stay safe out there.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I was smack dab in the middle of the derecho that hit last August. It was awful. As I looked around after, I was overwhelmed by the mess. I have several large trees in my yard. Downed limbs covered my property and my neighbor's property.  Part of the garage roof was gone. I worked 10-12 hours every day for several days to clean up. Luckily, I have wonderful neighbors who came with chainsaws and tools to help. We were without power for a week. Parts of my state were without power for 15 days. 

I hear ya.  Same here and I am still waiting for repairs to be done.  Roof is done but need deck and siding yet.  Yard cleaned up and new grass growning and trees all had to be trimmed up and they look bare but hopefully come around again in another year.

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia   In 2012, what I remember was the sound of the thunder.  Not a normal sound.  No rumble, just very sharp bangs.  Like a gun firing over and over. The lightning was just crazy.  I thought someone was running through the neighborhood shooting a machine gun. 

@songbird @DH and I were at the Birchmere and didn't know anything until we left. Luckily, we left shortly after it went through. DS was home and said it sounded like a train was going down the street. He was in the basement when we got home and yelled, "What are you doing out in this?" 

Honored Contributor

From Meterologist Justn Berk.  Event should be here between 4 & 6PM.  

Southern PA, most of central MD, and DE Heightened chance for twisters, but not a promise. *Models & LIVE radar here Timing seems faster than models, putting metro areas b/t 4 PM and 6 PM. WARNING = happening NOW.

Just sick looking outside now.

Respected Contributor

if my memory serves me correct we had a storm just like that in the quadcities.i was without power for a week.i lost everything in fridge and freezer,and had to stay in a hotel until electricity came back on.yes,it was terrible.i hope it passes you by