Honored Contributor

Chance of strong storms or Derecho today in our area today

According to the National Weather Service, there is an "enhanced" risk of a Derecho today.  A Derecho is an extreme straight wind storm,(several cell lines of them) the opposite of a tornado. They move very slowly.  The last one we had was in  in June of 2012.  Very rare occurrence.  More common in the Midwest. Hoping it will just end up as a typical storm. Derecho is Spanish for "straight ahead"  The area for strong storms is from St. Louis to Philadelphia & DC today.  The enhanced area is over Maryland and parts of Pennsylvania. Storms here usually form in the afternoon/evening. Although I'm in the "slight" risk, I'm still nervous. supposedly we are level 3 out of 5 (whatever that means)

Respected Contributor

Re: Chance of strong storms or Derecho today in our area today

We were forecasted to have the Derecho experience overnight in SW Michigan. Local TV weather people hyped the heck out of it. Turned out to be a whole lot of nothing. Once the storms started to cross Lake Michigan, they weakened tremendously. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope we get some weather drama today to clear the heat and humidity and water the gardens.  Maybe not a derecho though.

Honored Contributor

I was smack dab in the middle of the derecho that hit last August. It was awful. As I looked around after, I was overwhelmed by the mess. I have several large trees in my yard. Downed limbs covered my property and my neighbor's property.  Part of the garage roof was gone. I worked 10-12 hours every day for several days to clean up. Luckily, I have wonderful neighbors who came with chainsaws and tools to help. We were without power for a week. Parts of my state were without power for 15 days. 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I was smack dab in the middle of the derecho that hit last August. It was awful. As I looked around after, I was overwhelmed by the mess. I have several large trees in my yard. Downed limbs covered my property and my neighbor's property.  Part of the garage roof was gone. I worked 10-12 hours every day for several days to clean up. Luckily, I have wonderful neighbors who came with chainsaws and tools to help. We were without power for a week. Parts of my state were without power for 15 days. 

That's what they say.  Long wait for knocked out power, the Derecho is that strong.  They are capable of 100 mph winds. Much worse then a tornado.  

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

We were forecasted to have the Derecho experience overnight in SW Michigan. Local TV weather people hyped the heck out of it. Turned out to be a whole lot of nothing. Once the storms started to cross Lake Michigan, they weakened tremendously. 

I'm hoping that happens.  I heard about it last evening.  We We are in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains Chain.  If storms move directly from West to East, the mountains weaken them.  they didn't hype the Derecho that slammed in to us on 2012!

Respected Contributor

I'm in the Northern Burbs of Chicago,  just south of the Wi border and we were supposed to get slammed last nigh.  NOPE!  Thankfully it didn't happen.  Got lightening and some rain.....  but nothing out of the ordinary.   WHEW!

Frequent Contributor

Good morning @songbird !! Thanks for the information. I live in the enhanced risk area...Frederick MD. I will check on the forecast as the day progresses and remove vulnerable items from my deck....all of the windows of my condo face due West. Straight-line winds from the west could smash my windows with objects picked up.  Wishing you safety during today's weather events!

Honored Contributor

@Laneysmom wrote:

Good morning @songbird !! Thanks for the information. I live in the enhanced risk area...Frederick MD. I will check on the forecast as the day progresses and remove vulnerable items from my deck....all of the windows of my condo face due West. Straight-line winds from the west could smash my windows with objects picked up.  Wishing you safety during today's weather events!

I've been picking up objects lying around.  My trash container has heavy trash in it, so it should be OK.  Yes, I'm dreading the straight line winds. I just hope it turns in to typical storm and not a nightmare one. Thanks for the wishes.  Stay safe!

Honored Contributor

That's what we call a "Dust Storm" in Arizona.....    

♥Surface of the Sun♥